St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Church, Alangad
|• Total||18.35 km2 (7.08 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,739/km2 (4,500/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KL 42|
|Nearest city||North Paravur|
|Sex ratio||1008 : 1000 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Ernakulam|
The name Alangad has been derived from "alam" means sugarcane.
Alangad was once famous in the state for its sugarcane fields. In the past Alangad was a small kingdom ruled by the Alangad Kings. Visscher refers the battle that took place between the Alangad King and the Paravoor (N.Parur) King in his 'Letters from Malabar' written in 1720CE. Years back Alangad had its own place in the agricultural industry. The village was scenic with its greenery and was covered almost entirely with vast expanses of paddy fields and Coconut trees. Later on the advent of red bricks business made the paddy fields almost vanish literally. The village was blessed with fertile soil, which gave good crops for all types of agriculture. The place is situated on the banks of River Periyar, which is called as "Muttupuzha"(knee river) in this area as it used to have knee deep water during summers and people could cross it on foot.But now since huge amount of sand is taken from the river bed its no more shallow or safe to walk through even in summers. The former rulers of Alangand was known as "Alangadu Karthakal"
Alangad is located just 7 km away from North Paravur and 8 km away from Aluva. The State Highway connecting North Paravur with Perumbavoor passes through this village. Once clay brick business was the main trade as clay was available. Major heavy mechanical vehicles, bus and small cars have their warehouses and PDI centers on the Perumbavoor - Parur highway.
One of the major economy for the whole panchayath is from the remittances of expatriate community.
- T.V.Sundram Iyengar & Sons Ltd. Alangad
- NMD (Neerikode Milk Dairy)
- Wisdom College, Kottappuram
- KEM High School, Kottappuram, Alangad.
- Infant Jesus Senior secondary School Alangad.
- ALANGAD JAMAATH PUBLIC SCHOOL.KARUMALOOR
- Little Flower High School Panayikulam.
- LP School, Thiruvalloor.
- St. Mary's LP School Alangad.
- Govt. HSS Kongorpilly
- LP School Neerikode
- LP School Olanad
- LP School Panayikulam
- SNP School Koduvazhanga
- Sri Sai Vidya Vihar School
- Sri Alungal Bhagavathy Temple Veliyathunad
- Thiruvaloor Mahadeva temple
- Keezhanikkavu Vishnu - Bhagavathi Temple Thiruvalloor
- Marayil Bhagavathy Temple, Koduvazhanga
- Neerikodu Siva Temple : A temple became history, through the court verdict.
- Sree Krishnapuram Temple, Kottapuram
- Iravipuram Temple, Kottapuram
- Vettakaaran Sree Mahadeva Temple, Alangad
- Alangad Devi Temple, Alangad
- Kunnil Sree Dharma Sastha Temple
- Kaarukunnu Sree Dharma Sastha Temple
- Aattuvatrikovil - Vaathurakkavu Devi Temple
- Kottayathukav Devi Temple,kottappuram
- Chirangara Mahadeva Temple
- Purappilly kavu, Karumalloor
- Kollaparamb Sree Dharma Shastha Temple,Kottapuram
- Infant Jesus Church, Kunnel.
- St. Mary's Church Alangad
- St. Joseph Church Neericode
- St. Sebastian Church Neerikode
- Little Flower Church Panayikulam
- St. Antony Church Kongorpilly
- St. Thomas Church Karumalloor
- Alangad masjid
- Panayikulam masjid
- Methanam masjid
- Parur - Perumbavoor road
- Kottappuram - Koonamav road
- Edayar - Panayikulam road
- Kadungallur - Kongorpilly road
- Kongorpilly - Olanad road
- Neerikode - Thattampady Road
- Parur - Karingamthuruth - Aluva road
Neerikode, Koduvazhanga, Iravipuram, Kottapuram, Malikampeedika, Alangad, Thiruvalloor, Kunnel, Panayikulam, Methanam, Chirayam, Kongorppilly, Olanad, Thirumuppam, Pazhampilly, Karingamthuruth
- M.N. Soman
- A. Mathias Mundadan
- Mar Varghese Payyappilly Palakkappilly, Former vicar of Alangad St. Mary's Church
- G Sreedharan Pillai (Rtd, Post Master)
- V.K.Ebrahim Kunju(PWD Minister)
- Adv.Jose Vithayathil (Member, KCDRC, TVM)
- Adv.Mani Vithayathil (Former Chairman, KSFE)
- Mr.T.A Kumara pillai (Rtd.Teacher)
- Mr. Vinod Rajasekharan Menon
- Mr. Vaishakh Vinod Menon
- Extension of private buses from Aluva - Perumbavoor to N.Paravoor