Gamberini in action for Fiorentina
|Date of birth||27 August 1981|
|Place of birth||Bologna, Italy|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
(on loan from Napoli)
|2002–2003||→ Verona (loan)||20||(0)|
|2013–||→ Genoa (loan)||0||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 31 March 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
He spent most of his professional career with Fiorentina, appearing in 224 official games over the course of seven seasons.
Born in Bologna, Gamberini made his first team – and Serie A – debut with Bologna F.C. 1909 in 1999–2000 – in a 1–3 away defeat against S.S. Lazio on 9 January 2000 – and remained there for six seasons, a one-year loan to Hellas Verona F.C. notwithstanding.
In the 2000 off-season he was acquired by Juventus F.C. alongside Alex Pederzoli and Giacomo Cipriani in a pack deal for €5.16 million, in exchange for the remaining 50% of Jonatan Binotto's registration rights for the same amount, with 50% of Gamberini's rights being priced at €2.32 million. His co-ownership deal was terminated in the favour of Bologna in June 2002, for a peppercorn fee, making the Turin side register a loss of €1.5 million (the residual unamortised transfer fee of €4.64 in three years), but with a financial income of €2.32 million as Juve did not have to pay the remaining 50% registration rights.
Following Bologna's relegation in 2004–05, Gamberini moved to ACF Fiorentina for €3.2 million, carving a starting XI niche in his second year, as the Viola eventually qualified twice for the UEFA Champions League. On 4 March 2007 he scored two goals in a 5–1 home win over Torino FC, his first in 134 professional appearances.
He was not included in the original squad for UEFA Euro 2008, but was called up after captain Fabio Cannavaro tore ankle ligaments after a collision with teammate Giorgio Chiellini in training, on 2 June. Gamberini was not used during the competition.
- "Reports and financial statements at 30 June 2003" (in Italian). Juventus' official website. 28 October 2003. Retrieved 12 November 2010.
- Fiorentina report and accounts on 31 December 2006 (Italian)
- Gamberini: al Bologna circa 3 milioni di euro (Gamberini: about 3 million Euro to Bologna); Fiorentina fansite, 4 July 2005 (Italian)
- "Gamberini out for two months". Football-Italia. 15 February 2010. Retrieved 18 February 2010.[dead link]
- "Operato Gamberini" [Gamberini has surgery] (in Italian). Viola Channel. 16 February 2010. Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- "Gamberini è il nuovo capitano" [Gamberini is new captain] (in Italian). Viola Channel. 17 July 2011. Retrieved 24 July 2011.
- Cannavaro surgery rated a success; BBC Sport, 4 June 2008
- Fiorentina official profile (Italian)
- Stats at Tutto Calciatori (Italian)
- National team data (Italian)
- Alessandro Gamberini at National-Football-Teams.com