Alex, Jorge y Lena
|Alex, Jorge y Lena|
|Origin||Miami, United States|
|Genres||Pop, Latin pop|
Alex, Jorge y Lena is a Latin supergroup, formed in 2010, that consists of singer-songwriters and multi-instrumentalists Lena Burke, Álex Ubago and Jorge Villamizar. Their sound is influenced by all three members, who played instruments and wrote all the tracks on their debut album, Alex, Jorge y Lena, which was released in September 2010. The songs on the album are mostly about love and relationships. The first single, "Estar Contigo", charted in the United States.
Villamizar is better known as the lead member of the band Bacilos and as a songwriter for various artists. Ubago and Burke had solo careers before joining the project, which is intended to be short-lived to allow the members to continue with their individual careers. Alex, Jorge y Lena has received nominations for the Lo Nuestro and a Latin Grammy Awards.
Alex, Jorge y Lena consists of Cuban singer-songwriter Lena Burke, Spanish performer Álex Ubago and Colombian lyricist Jorge Villamizar. In 2004, Villamizar and Ubago met at the Viña del Mar International Song Festival in Chile. The following year Villamizar was introduced to Burke in Miami. While promoting an album there in 2006, Burke met Ubago. Since then, the three musicians have maintained a close relationship. In 2009, Villamizar and Burke recorded some songs together for a new project, and because of their mutual friendship, they decided to include Ubago. The newly formed ensemble was presented to Warner Music, which welcomed it enthusiastically. Villamizar described their collaboration: "This is not a band, it is a songwriters union. We are performers and each one has a career, but we wanted to record this album together."
Recording and release
A sample of , "Estar Contigo", a balld written written by Álex Ubago which was released as their first single.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Alex, Jorge y Lena's debut album, Alex, Jorge y Lena was produced by Mexican singer-songwriter Aureo Baqueiro. Burke, Ubago and Villamizar wrote all the songs on the album. Ubago said that the album includes 12 tracks since they had a lot of material to choose from, "everything was very fluid, we felt the chemistry and also the stars lined up." Each member played an instrument; Villamizar and Ubago played guitar and Burke played piano.
Alex, Jorge y Lena was released on September 21, 2010 and peaked at number 13 in the Billboard Latin Pop Albums and 17 at the Mexican Albums Chart. Alex, Jorge y Lena held a promotional tour in Spain and Latin America.
Singles and videos
"Estar Contigo" ("Being With You")" was the first single to be released from the album. It was written by Ubago and was originally recorded by him and Burke. The track was released to radio on July 26, 2010, and peaked at number 22 in the Billboard Top Latin Songs chart. About the song, Villamizar said: "When I heard the song with their voices, I said 'I do not sing' ". Then they sent the recording to the label, who immediately asked, "Where's Jorge?" and returned the song to be completed by the trio. This changed the nature of the song; according to Gabriela Martinez, Vice President of Marketing at Warner Music Latina, "Estar Contigo" "went from being a song [about a] romantic couple, a love song, [to one] may be between father and son or friends, every relationship is applied." 
In July 2011 "Las Cosas Que Me Encantan" ("The Things I Love") and "Si Ya No Tengo Tu Corazón" ("If I Do Not Have Your Heart") were released as the third and fourth singles from the album, respectively. Alex, Jorge y Lena recorded a music video for "Si Ya No Tengo Tu Corazón" during a live concert in Mexico City as a part of their promotional tour. The video for "Las Cosas Que Me Encantan" was also recorded in Mexico City; and included additional footage from their live performance at the Festival Valladolid in Spain.
Awards and accolades
The trio received a nomination for Breakthrough Artist at the Lo Nuestro Awards in 2011, which they lost to Jencarlos Canela. At the award show, Alex, Jorge y Lena performed "Estar Contigo". On September 14, 2011, Alex, Jorge y Lena received two Latin Grammy Award nominations, for Album of the Year and Best Pop Album by a Duo or Group with Vocals for their 2010 release, with an additional nomination for Aureo Baqueiro as Producer of the Year for his work on the album.
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result|
|Lo Nuestro Awards||February 17, 2011||Breakthrough Artist||Alex, Jorge y Lena||Nominated|
|Latin Grammy Awards||November 10, 2011||Album of the Year||Alex, Jorge y Lena||Nominated|
|Best Pop Album by a Duo or Group with Vocals||Won|
|Lo Nuestro Awards||February 16, 2012||Pop Group or Duo of the Year||Alex, Jorge y Lena||Nominated|
|Premios Oye!||February 2012||Breakthrough Artist||Alex, Jorge y Lena||Nominated|
- Alex, Jorge y Lena (2010)
- "Álex, Jorge y Lena forman un nuevo grupo" (in Spanish). Conciertos10.com. June 28, 2011. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- Lizardo, Altagracia (April 18, 2010). "Fluye el talento entre Jorge, Lena y Alex" (in Spanish). El Informador. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Álex Ubago, Jorge Villamizar y Lena forman grupo". People en Español (in Spanish). Time Inc. July 13, 2010. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Alex, Jorge y Lena – Alex, Jorge y Lena". Billboard. October 9, 2010. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Alex, Jorge y Lena – Alex, Jorge y Lena". Mexican Charts. Hung Medien. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Estar Contigo – Alex, Jorge y Lena". Billboard. Rovi Corporation. October 9, 2010. Retrieved Septiember 14, 2011. Check date values in:
- "Alex, Jorge y Lena se alistan para sacar un disco juntos" (in Spanish). AOL. July 26, 2010. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Alex, Jorge y Lena están de estreno" (in Spanish). El Informador. March 31, 2010. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Alex, Jorge y Lena – Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Video - Alex, Jorge y Lena: 'Si ya no tengo tu corazón'". AOL. July 13, 2011. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "ALEX, JORGE Y LENA - Estrenan video "Las cosas que me encantan"". Warner Music. July 15, 2011. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Lista completa de nominados a los Premios Lo Nuestro 2011" (in Spanish). Terra Networks. December 2, 2010. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Premio Lo nuestro destaca música urbana" (in Spanish). Hoy Digital. February 18, 2010. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Latin Grammys: The complete list of nominees". Los Angeles Times. Tribune Company. September 14, 2011. Retrieved September 14, 2011.
- "Lista de los nominados a Premios Lo Nuestro 2012" (in Spanish). En El Brasero. December 8, 2011. Retrieved December 28, 2011.
- "Premio Oye 2012: Boletin de Prensa Nominados" (PDF). Premios Oye! (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de la Música en México. 2011. Retrieved December 28, 2011.