June 20, 1988
|Other names||Bruce Leeroy|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Reach||70.0 in (178 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Alex Caceres (born June 20, 1988) is an American mixed martial artist who competes in the bantamweight division of the UFC. A professional MMA competitor since 2008, Caceres mostly competed in his regional circuit, before signing with the Ultimate Fighting Championships to appear on The Ultimate Fighter: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck. As of September 29, 2014, he is #12 in official UFC bantamweight rankings.
Mixed Martial Arts career
Caceres comes from Miami, Florida where he trains at Young Tigers Foundation. Caceres claims to be "inventive and creative" during the fights, often smiling during competition. Caceres also never went the distance in any of his fights prior to joining the TUF cast. Caceres' nickname, "Bruce Leeroy" stems from the character in the film The Last Dragon.
Caceres initially fought in an underground backyard street fighting organization in Miami. Caceres mostly appeared in promotions based in Florida. Amongst these was an appearance for the King of the Cage promotion at "King of the Cage: Hurricane" in February 2009. His opponent in that fight was Eric Kovarik, who was coming off multiple successive losses. In under two minutes, Caceres submitted his opponent with a rear naked choke.
Caceres then won his next fight against Joel Garcia in May 2009 via submission (triangle choke) early in the first round before going on a two-fight losing streak. These two losses were both by armbar, taking his record to 4-2 at that time.
In his final fight before joining The Ultimate Fighter, Caceres defeated Jahmal McLennan via TKO midway through the third round to snap his losing streak.
The Ultimate Fighter
In the debut episode, Caceres faced Paul Barrow, who was 3-0 going into the show. Caceres, who smiled almost the entire fight, would go to defeat Barrow via submission (rear naked choke) in the first round.
In the second episode, Caceres was picked as GSP's fourth pick (eighth overall). Caceres competed in his preliminary round fight during this episode against Jeff Lentz. Prior to the fight, Lentz's cardio was called into question due to his smoking and drinking. However, Lentz went on to arguably win the first round of the fight against Caceres. Midway through the second round, Caceres locked in a triangle choke, forcing the tapout and advancing him into the quarter-finals.
In episode 8, Team GSP had to pick which team members would fight each other (considering they had 5 members in the quarter-finals). St. Pierre asked each member to pick the fighter they would prefer to fight. Both Caceres and Michael Johnson picked each other and they were scheduled to fight. Johnson defeated Caceres via unanimous decision (20-18, 20-18, 20-18) after two rounds in episode 10.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Caceres was expected to face Leonard Garcia August 14, 2011 at UFC Live: Hardy vs. Lytle. However, Garcia was forced out of the bout with an injury and replace by promotional newcomer Jimy Hettes. Caceres was submitted with a rear naked choke at 3:12 of round 2.
Caceres then dropped to the bantamweight division and faced former WEC Bantamweight champion Cole Escovedo on November 12, 2011 at UFC on Fox 1. Caceres won via unanimous decision in a bout where he showed a vastly improved striking and ground game.
Caceres next faced Damacio Page on July 11, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman. He won the fight via submission in the second round. The finish also earned him the Submission of the Night honors.
Caceres was expected to face promotional newcomer Kyung Ho Kang on November 10, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV 6. However, Kang was forced out of the bout with an injury and was replaced by promotional newcomer Motonobu Tezuka. Caceres defeated the UFC newcomer by split decision.
Caceres/Kang was rescheduled for March 3, 2013 at UFC on Fuel TV 8. Caceres won the back-and-forth fight via split decision. On March 20, 2013, it was announced that Caceres had failed his post fight drug test, testing positive for marijuana. Caceres was subsequently suspended for six months, retroactive to March 3, 2013 and his win over Kang was changed to a No Contest.
Caceres was expected to face Mitch Gagnon on December 7, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 33. However, the bout was scrapped during the week leading up to the event due to an alleged visa issue for Gagnon, restricting his entry to Australia.
Caceres faced Sergio Pettis on January 25, 2014 at UFC on Fox 10. He won the back-and-forth fight by rear-naked choke submission at 4:49 of the third round. The win also earned Caceres his first Fight of the Night and second Submission of the Night bonus awards.
Championships and achievements
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|18 matches||10 wins||7 losses|
|Loss||10–7 (1)||Masanori Kanehara||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Hunt vs. Nelson||September 20, 2014||3||5:00||Saitama, Japan|
|Loss||10–6 (1)||Urijah Faber||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 175||July 5, 2014||3||1:09||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–5 (1)||Sergio Pettis||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Thomson||January 25, 2014||3||4:39||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Submission of the Night; Fight of the Night.|
|Win||9–5 (1)||Roland Delorme||Decision (split)||UFC 165||September 21, 2013||3||5:00||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|NC||8–5 (1)||Kyung Ho Kang||NC (failed drug test)||UFC on Fuel TV: Silva vs. Stann||March 3, 2013||3||5:00||Saitama, Japan||Original split decision win for Cacares; overturned as Caceres tested positive for marijuana.|
|Win||8–5||Motonobu Tezuka||Decision (split)||UFC on Fuel TV: Franklin vs. Le||November 10, 2012||3||5:00||Macau, SAR, China|
|Win||7–5||Damacio Page||Submission (triangle choke)||UFC on Fuel TV: Munoz vs. Weidman||July 11, 2012||2||1:27||San Jose, California, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Loss||6–5||Edwin Figueroa||Decision (split)||UFC 143||February 4, 2012||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Caceras was docked two points for multiple accidental kicks to the groin.|
|Win||6–4||Cole Escovedo||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Velasquez vs. Dos Santos||November 12, 2011||3||5:00||Anaheim, California, United States||Bantamweight debut.|
|Loss||5–4||Jimy Hettes||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Live: Hardy vs. Lytle||August 14, 2011||2||3:12||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Loss||5–3||Mackens Semerzier||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Davis||March 26, 2011||1||3:18||Seattle, Washington, United States||Return to Featherweight.|
|Win||5–2||Ketema Jahmal McLennan||TKO (punches)||G-Force Fights: Bad Blood 3||February 4, 2010||3||2:48||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Loss||4–2||Matt McCook||Submission (armbar)||WFC: Battle of the Bay 8||July 10, 2009||2||3:56||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Loss||4–1||Farkhad Sharipov||Submission (armbar)||Best of the Best||June 12, 2009||3||3:01||Columbus, Georgia, United States|
|Win||4–0||Joel Garcia||Submission (triangle choke)||XFN: Da Matta vs. Thorne||May 14, 2009||1||1:05||Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, United States|
|Win||3–0||Eric Kovarik||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC: Hurricane||February 21, 2009||1||1:58||Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, United States|
|Win||2–0||Tulio Quintanilla||TKO (punches)||MFA: There Will Be Blood||December 3, 2008||2||4:14||Miami, Florida, United States|
|Win||1–0||Eric Luke||Submission (armbar)||G-Force Fights: Bad Blood 1||November 6, 2008||2||1:45||Miami, Florida, United States|
- "Meet the cast for "The Ultimate Fighter 12," field includes 28 lightweights". mmajunkie.com. August 3, 2010.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Spike TV unveils TUF 12 cast: Alex Caceres". sherdog.com. August 3, 2010.
- "Alex Caceres kicks". spike.com. August 19, 2010.
- "Alex Caceres wins 'Bad Blood 3' MMA battle over Jahmal McLennan". sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved September 7, 2010.
- "Episode no.1 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. September 16, 2010.
- "Episode No. 2 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. September 22, 2010.
- "Episode No. 8 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. November 4, 2010.
- "Episode No. 10 recap: "The Ultimate Fighter 12: Team GSP vs. Team Koscheck"". mmajunkie.com. November 18, 2010.
- ""Bruce Leroy" vs. Mackens Semerzier in the works for UFC Fight Night 24". mmajunkie.com. December 30, 2010.
- "Alex Caceres vs. Leonard Garcia slotted for UFC on Versus 5". MMAjunkie.com. May 25, 2011.
- "Leonard Garcia out, Jimy Hettes in against "Bruce Leroy" at UFC on Versus 5". mmajunkie.com. August 2, 2011.
- "Alex Caceres drops to bantamweight, fights Cole Escovedo at UFC on FOX 1". mmajunkie.com. October 5, 2011.
- "Alex Caceres vs. Edwin Figueroa added to UFC 143". mmajunkie.com. November 17, 2011.
- "UFC on FUEL TV 4 adds Page vs. Caceres". mmajunkie.com. May 24, 2012.
- "Kyung Ho Kang out, Motonobu Tezuka meets Alex Caceres at UFC on FUEL TV 6". mmajunkie. November 2, 2012.
- "Alex Caceres vs. Kyung Ho Kang Confirmed for UFC on Fuel 8". mmaweekly.com. 13 December 2012.
- John Petit (March 20, 2013). "Alex Caceres Fails UFC On Fuel 8 Drug Test". fighters.com.
- John Petit (2013-08-04). "Roland Delorme Vs Alex Caceres Tapped For UFC 165". Fighters.com. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- Adam Ireland (10-09-13). "Alex "Bruce Leeroy" Caceres takes on Mitch Gagnon in Brisbane". MMAKanvas.com. Retrieved 10-09-13. Check date values in:
- Staff (2013-12-02). "Alex Caceres vs. Mitch Gagnon scratched from Friday’s UFC Fight Night 33 main card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- Dave Reid (2013-12-19). "Alex Caceres vs Sergio Pettis Expected For UFC on FOX 10". mmainsider.net. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- Staff (2014-01-25). "UFC on FOX 10 bonuses: Caceres earns $100K, Cerrone and Pettis each pocket $50K". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-01-25.
- Brett Okamoto (2014-05-14). "Urijah Faber-Alex Caceres set". ESPN. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Staff (2014-08-08). "Alex Caceres replaces Urijah Faber, meets Masanori Kanehara at UFC Fight Night 52". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-08-08.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-09-20). "UFC Fight Night 52 results: Masanori Kanehara outworks Alex Caceres for decision". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-20.
- Damon Martin (2015-04-14). "Francisco Rivera vs. Alex Caceres joins UFC Fight Night in New Orleans". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2015-04-14.