Cobb in 2012
|Tampa Bay Rays – No. 53|
October 7, 1987 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|May 1, 2011 for the Tampa Bay Rays|
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||3.39|
Cobb was called up to the majors for the first time on May 1, 2011 and made his major league debut that day. He was optioned back to the minors after the game. On May 31, Cobb was recalled back to the majors. On June 7, 2011 Alex Cobb earned his 1st Major League victory while starting for the Rays, Cobb pitched for 61⁄3 innings and the Rays defeated the Angels 4–1 
At the start of the 2012 season Alex Cobb was named the team's fifth starter beating out Wade Davis and Jeff Niemann. On August 23, 2012 Cobb pitched his first career complete game shutout against the Oakland A's .
On May 10, 2013 Alex Cobb struck out all four batters in one inning. He also gave up one run in that inning after the batter stole second base, third base, and was then balked home for the first time in recorded baseball.
Cobb was struck in the head by a line drive off the bat of Kansas City Royals first baseman Eric Hosmer on June 15, 2013. Cobb left the field on a stretcher, and was transported to Bayfront Medical Center in St. Petersburg, Florida. It was reported that Cobb suffered a mild concussion and had a cut on his right ear, while all other scans and tests came back normal, and he would be released the next day. Cobb would miss two months, making his return on August 15.
Cobb throws four pitches: a four-seam fastball and two-seam fastball averaging about 90 mph, a curveball in the upper 70s, and a splitter in the mid 80s. More than half of his pitches with 2 strikes are splitters. He tends to throw more four-seamers and splitters to right-handed hitters, but batters from both sides of the plate see a fair amount of all of his pitches.
- Chastain, Bill (2011-05-30). "Rays option Cobb back to Durham". raysbaseball.com Notebook. Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- Chastain, Bill; Chiang, Anthony (2011-05-30). "Rays call up Cobb for Tuesday start". raysbaseball.com Notebook. Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- Marc Topkin (June 15, 2013). "Rays' Cobb hit in head by line drive, taken off on stretcher". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- Marc Topkin (August 15, 2013). "Rays rout Mariners in Cobb's return". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved August 25, 2013.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Alexander Cobb". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)