Green in 2010 with Hawaii.
No. 25 New York Jets
|Date of birth:June 23, 1988|
|Place of birth: Portland, Oregon|
|High school: Portland (OR) Benson Poly|
|NFL Draft: 2011 / Round: 3 / Pick: 96|
|Debuted in 2011 for the Green Bay Packers|
|Roster status: Active|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 5, 2013
Alexander Denell Green (born June 23, 1988) is an American football running back for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at The University of Hawaii. He was considered one of the better running back prospects for the 2011 NFL Draft. He was drafted third round, 96th overall, by the Green Bay Packers in the 2011 NFL Draft.
Butte Community College
Green originally went to Butte Community College in Oroville, California. This was the same college that future Packers teammate Aaron Rodgers played for. In 2008, Green lead the team to a 12-0 record and the junior college national championship. During that time he had 1,037 yards and 14 touchdowns rushing, he also scored two receiving touchdowns.
University of Hawaii
After two years, Green transferred to the The University of Hawaii as an oncoming junior where he became an integral part of their spread offense.
In his first year at Hawaii, Green played in all thirteen games as a running back. He had 453 yards and two touchdowns rushing, as well as 11 receptions for 98 yards and another touchdown. His best game at the season came against Utah State University, where he rushed for 110 yards on 10 carries (11 yards per carry). The Warriors finished the season 6-7.
During his senior year, Green was featured much more in the Warrior offense. So much so that Green rushed for 1,199 yards and 18 touchdowns. He was the first running back since 1992 to exceed 1000 yards rushing, and his performance was the second highest for a season in school history. During the game against New Mexico State University, Green broke the school record for rushing in a game with 327 yards on 19 carries (an average of 17 yards per carry). He was named the WAC player of the week and Capital One Impact Performer of the week.
Green was considered one of the better running back prospects coming into the 2011 NFL Draft. Scouts stated that Green was "thickly built and well-proportioned", with "competitive speed". However, he was also criticized for his ball-control, lack of power, and the fact that he played in "a pass-happy 'pistol' offense featuring wide splits against porous WAC defenses" and that he "was never asked to handle a heavy workload."  He was projected to go as early as the third round.
|Ht||Wt||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 0 in||225 lb||4.45 s||1.56 s||2.60 s||4.15 s||6.91 s||34 in||9 ft 6 in||20 reps||13 |
|All values from NFL Combine.|
Green Bay Packers
Green was selected in the third round with 96th overall pick by the Packers. He made his regular season debut against the New Orleans Saints. He received his first carries at running back during garbage time in week 4 against the Denver Broncos. He had three carries for 11 yards and a touchdown vs the Arizona Cardinals. After Week 7, Green injured his knee and missed the rest of the season, an injury that head coach Mike McCarthy called "very unfortunate".
Green was released by the Packers on August 31, 2013.
New York Jets
- NFL Draft Scout
- "Packers Select Alex Green, RB - Hawaii, as The 96th Overall Pick". Green Bay Packers. April 29, 2011. Retrieved April 30, 2011.
- "NFL Draft: Green Bay's Round 3-pick, running back Alex Green, out of Benson High School". OregonLive. April 30, 2011. Retrieved October 17, 2011.
- "Alex Green". Retrieved October 27, 2011.
- "Packers familiar with Alex Green's Former stomping grounds". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved October 27, 2011.
- "University of Hawai'i at Manoa Athletics Department- 2010 football roster". Retrieved October 27, 2011.
- Guzman, Fred. "Green's 327-yard outburst lifts Hawaii to No. 25". mauinow.com. November 29, 2010. Retrieved October 27, 2011.
- "Green Bay Packers draft profile: Hawaii RB Alex Green". Green Bay Press Gazette. Retrieved October 27, 2011.
- "Draft Prospect- Alex Green". Retrieved October 27, 2011.
- "Green Bay Packers: Alex Green". Retrieved October 27, 2011.
- "NFL local ties, Week 7: Injuries end season for Alex Green, Walter Thurmond; A.J. Feeley gets a start". Retrieved October 27, 2011.
- [2013.http://www.packersnews.com/article/20130831/PKR0101/130831011/Packers-cut-RB-Green-TE-Mulligan "Packers cut RB Green, TE Mulligan"]. Retrieved Agust 31, 2013.
- Lange, Randy (1 September 2013). "3 Arrive Via Waivers; 7 Added to Practice Squad". New York Jets. Archived from the original on 1 September 2013. Retrieved 1 September 2013.