|Occupation||Actor, writer, film director, producer, editor|
Life and career
Karpovsky is a first-generation Russian immigrant and was raised in Newton, Massachusetts. He pursued a Ph.D. in visual ethnography at the University of Oxford, but dropped out after two years. While appearing on the Employee of the Month podcast in February 2013, Karpovsky said they were "probably the best two years of my life."
His award-winning debut feature, The Hole Story, earned him a slot in Filmmaker magazine's 25 new faces of independent film. His subsequent films include Woodpecker (SXSW Film Festival, 2008), Trust Us, This Is All Made Up (SXSW Film Festival, 2009), Rubberneck (Tribeca Film Festival, 2012), Red Flag (LA Film Festival, 2012), the latter two of which were released as a double feature in New York City's Lincoln Center Theater.
As an actor, he currently plays the role of Ray Ploshansky in the HBO comedy series Girls. He is scheduled to play the role of Marty Green in the upcoming Coen brothers film, Inside Llewyn Davis.
As an actor
- Ray Ploshansky in the HBO comedy series "Girls (TV series)"
- Marty Green in "Inside Llewyn Davis", 2013 Cannes Film Festival - Grand Prize
- Nick Berger in "Supporting Characters", 2012 Tribeca Film Festival
- Officer Stephen Lomatin in "Manhattan Vigil", 2012 "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"
- Paul Harris in "Rubberneck", 2012 Tribeca Film Festival
- Alex Karpovsky in "Red Flag", 2012 Los Angeles Film Festival
- Peter in Gayby, 2012 SXSW Film Festival
- Ian Gilmore in Sleepwalk with Me, 2012 Sundance Film Festival
- Sasha in Almost in Love, 2011 Abu Dhabi Film Festival
- Wally Combs in Wuss, 2011 SXSW Film Festival
- Rookie Agent in Codependent Lesbian Space Alien Seeks Same, 2011 Sundance Film Festival
- Paul in The Grownups, 2010 Cannes Film Festival
- Jed in Tiny Furniture, 2010 SXSW Film Festival
- Vlad in Bass Ackwards, 2010 Sundance Film Festival
- Paul Lucas in Lovers of Hate, 2010 Sundance Film Festival
- Mean Man Mike in Harmony and Me, 2009 New Directors/New Films Series
- Merrill Graf in Beeswax, 2009 Berlin International Film Festival
- The voices of several Russian gangsters in Grand Theft Auto IV, 2008 (video game)
- Alex Karpovsky in The Hole Story, 2006 Independent Film Festival of Boston
As a writer/director
- 2012 Red Flag
- 2012 Rubberneck
- 2009 Trust Us, This Is All Made Up
- 2008 Woodpecker
- 2006 The Hole Story
- James H. Burnett III, "Alex Karpovsky Did It His Way," Boston Globe, April 27, 2012.
- Official website biography
- The New York Times
- Molly Fischer, Alex Karpovsky on acting versus directing, having no credit, and starring in 'Girls', New York Capital, October 4, 2012
- Ryzik, Melena (13 January 2013). "And in This Corner, The Boys of 'Girls'". The New York Times. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- Neil Genzlinger, Film Festival Blooms With Ripe Perversity, The New York Times, April 22, 2012