|Born||April 2, 1953|
|Alma mater||Tel Aviv University
Professor Alex Mintz (born April 2, 1953) is the Dean of the Lauder School of Government, Diplomacy and Strategy, a school within the Herzliya Interdisciplinary Center in Israel. He is the editor-in-chief of the International Journal of Political Psychology and the editor of the University of Chicago Press book series on Leadership and Decision Making in International Relations. From 2004 to 2009 he held the position of associate editor for the Journal of Conflict Resolution.
Mintz received his B.A. from Tel Aviv University in political science with a minor in mathematics. He then went on to receive a M.A. from the Northwestern University in political science before pursuing his PhD, also at Northwestern. His research interests focus on decision making, foreign policy analysis, political marketing and research methods.
Mintz was an instructor at Northwestern University and a senior lecturer at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. He then taught at Texas A&M University for 4 years before returning to Israel to become a professor at the University of Haifa. In 1993 he became the director of the program in foreign policy decision making at Texas A&M and remained there until 2005. He was a visiting lecturer at both Yale and Tel Aviv University during this time. He moved to IDC Herzliya in 2006 as a professor, before becoming the dean of the Lauder School of Government, Diplomacy and Strategy in 2008.
Awards and honors
- 2005 – Recipient of the Distinguished Scholar Award of the Foreign Policy section of the International Studies Association
- 2005 – Named to the Advisory Board of the Center for Conflict Prevention and Management at the University of Sydney
- 1993 – Recipient of the Karl Deutsch Award of the International Studies Association
- Essentials of Foreign Policy Decision Making. Cambridge University Press, November 2007 (with Karl DeRouen)
- New Directions for International Relations: Confronting the Method-of-Analysis Problem (co-editor, with Bruce Russett), Lexington Books, February 2005
- Multiple Paths to Knowledge: Methodology In Conflict Management and Conflict Resolution (co-editor with Zeev Maoz, T. Clifton Morgan, Glenn Palmer, Richard J. Stoll), Lexington, 2004
- Integrating Cognitive and Rational Theories of Decision Making (editor and contributor), Palgrave Macmillan, first published 2002.
- Decision Making on War and Peace: The Cognitive–Rational Debate (co-editor and contributor with N. Geva). Boulder, Colorado: Lynne Rienner Publishers, 1997.
- The Political Economy of Military Spending in the United States (editor and contributor) London: Routledge, 1992.
- Defense, Welfare and Growth (co-editor and contributor, with Steve Chan) London: Routledge, 1992.
- The Politics of Resource Allocation in the U.S. Department of Defense: International Crises and Domestic Constraints. Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 1988.
- "Curriculum Vitae – Alex Mintz". Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya. February 2010. Retrieved August 8, 2012.
- "Prof. Alex Mintz: Bio - IDC Herzliya". Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya. Retrieved August 8, 2012.
- ISA Karl Deutsch Award
- "Alex Mintz – Publications". Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya. Retrieved August 8, 2012.