First look poster
|Produced by||K. E. Gnanavelraja|
|Music by||Devi Sri Prasad|
|Edited by||Praveen K. L.
N. B. Srikanth
|Distributed by||Studio Green|
|Running time||162 minutes|
Alex Pandian (Tamil: அலெக்ஸ் பாண்டியன்) is a 2013 Tamil action-masala film written and directed by Suraj that features Karthi and Anushka Shetty in the lead roles, while Santhanam, Milind Soman, Suman, Prathap Pothen and Nikita Thukral among others play pivotal supporting roles. Devi Sri Prasad composed the music. Upon its release on 11 January 2013, the film was panned by critics. The film's dubbed Telugu version Bad Boy was released on 22 March. The film was declared a flop at the box office. Later it was Dubbed in Hindi under the Same title By GoldMinesTeleFilms. 
The film starts with Alex Pandian (Karthi) and Divya (Anushka Shetty) jumping of a train in an attempt to escape the goons who are seeking to kill them. Three days later, Alex enters Kaalayan's (Santhanam) house with many comedy scenes. Meanwhile, Divya is receiving treatment whilst Alvin Martin (Milind Soman) and Dr. GKM (Suman) are in search for the two. Upon finding Alex and Divya, the goons chase them. Kaalayan demands to know who Divya is. It happens to be that Divya is the daughter of CM (Visu). Alex, a local thief, is asked to kidnap Divya for 3 days so that the CM would sign the papers which would allow Dr. GKM and Alvin Martin to distribute fake medicines with devastating side affects. Alex brings her and keeps her as a hostage in a forest. On the 3rd day, as Alex is driving back, Divya explains the reason for why she was asked to be kidnapped and thus requests him to take her back to her father. Alex changes his mind and decides to save Divya. The film shifts back to the present and by now, Divya has fallen in love with Alex. As fate would have it, the goons arrive at their hiding place. The film ends with Alex killing the villains and reuniting with Divya.
- Karthi as Alex Pandian
- Anushka Shetty as Divya
- Santhanam as Kaalayan
- Milind Soman as Alvin Martin
- Suman as Dr. GKM
- Prathap Pothen as Radhakrishnan
- Visu as Chief Minister
- Mahadevan as Swamiji
- Nikita Thukral as Gayathri
- Sanusha as Sneha
- Akanksha Puri
- Manobala as Captain Divakaran
- Renuka as Rani
- Santhana Bharathi
- Saravanan as Parthiban
- Vaiyapuri as Nandu
- Lollu Sabha Manohar as Saani Urundai
- Vichu Vishwanathan
In April 2008, director Suraj announced that he had signed on with production house Studio Green to make a film with Karthi in the lead role. Early reports suggested that the film would star Anushka Shetty and Priyamani and would be a remake of the successful Telugu language film, Vikramarkudu, though Suraj claimed it would be an original script. However the film was placed on the backburner, with Karthi proceeding to star in a remake of Vikramarkudu under the direction of Siva in a project titled Siruthai (2011). In March, the film was titled as Alex Pandiyan named after Rajinikanth's character from Moondru Mugam.[unreliable source?]
The film re-emerged in April 2011, where it was announced that the film would be shot and readied for an August 2011 release. Anushka Shetty was signed on to play the leading female role in the film, after delivering consecutive box office successes with Singam, Vaanam and Deiva Thirumagal. Bhavana was approached to play the second heroine in the film but turned the offer stating that the character offered was too glamorous. Subsequently Nikita Thukral and Lakshmi Rai both claimed they had signed on to play the role, before Suraj later confirmed that Nikhita had edged it. Suraj revealed that Meghna would play another heroine - though conflicting reports had given the role to Meghna Naidu, Meghna Raj and Meghna Nair of Siruthai fame. The role was later given to newcomer Akanksha Puri. Sanusha was roped in for another leading female role in the film, while it was confirmed that Santhanam would play brother to the three girls apart from Anushka. Milind Soman and Suman were selected to play negative roles while Prathap Pothen was selected for a pivotal role.
Shooting started on 11 November 2011 at Chalakudy, Kerala without a title. A palatial bungalow was erected inside the forest of Chalakudy area. Elephants and jumbos were passing through the way and disturbing the shoot therefore 20 security guards were appointed to protect the set. The second schedule was shot at Meenambakkam where a huge set was erected for Rs. 2.5 million. There were reports that Ameer Sultan had stalled the shooting of the film, but Ameer refuted the allegations. A song with Karthi and Anushka was shot in Chennai which is of a competition kind of song, another song which is folk was also shot with both of them with Anushka working without break. Shooting was wrapped at Mysore. The stunt sequence on train with Karthi and Anushka with the supervision of Ganesh with six cameras under the expertise of cameraman Saravanan, a train was hired for 15 days for this daring sequence which ran for a length of 30 km from Mysore to Krishnarajasagar dam, A sum of around 20 million was spent on the stunt sequence with 50 stunt artistes flying in from Chennai for the shoot. Over 300 junior artistes were involved in the sequence apart from Milind Soman and Suman.
The satellite rights of the film were purchased by Sun TV. Alex Pandian's distribution rights for Kerala had been bought by Beebah Creations for 11.5 million and was distributed together with Sayujyam Cine Release. The film was slated for release on 12 January, but was advanced to 11 January 2013.The film was given a "U" certificate by the Indian Censor Board. Alex pandian released more than 800 screens worldwide.
A critic from Sify described it as a "potpourri of commercial mass masala not mixed in the right proportion", going on to conclude: "An old-fashioned entertainer that plays to the gallery, Alex Pandian is exaggerated and formulaic". Pavithra Srinivasan from Rediff stated that the film was a "masala, cliche-ridden entertainer which fails miserably", calling it a "disaster", while giving it 1.5 stars out 5. The Times of India gave it 2.5 out of 5 and wrote, "Alex Pandian, while not really a bad film or a badly-made one, often feels strictly functional. Yes, the comedy sequences work and save the film to an extent, but considering its minimal ambitions, a sense of deja vu and disappointment as you leave the theatre is inescapable". The Hindu's reviewer Malathi Rangarajan wrote, "Karthi tries to infuse spirit and energy into the film with an ample dose of humour, but the story that’s run of the mill and comedy that tires you after a point offer little help". Deccan Chronicle wrote that the film "may fail to enthral even die-hard Karthi fans". Newstrackindia called the film a "disappointing commercial pot-boiler" and added that director Suraj "randomly throws in five songs, plenty of action sequences and good amount of comedy, without any purpose or passion".
|Soundtrack album by Devi Sri Prasad|
|Released||12 December 2012|
|Producer||Devi Sri Prasad|
|Devi Sri Prasad chronology|
The film's music was composed by Devi Sri Prasad collaborating with Suraj for first time. The soundtrack consists of 5 songs. The audio rights were bagged by Gemini Audio. The album was initially set to release on 24 November, but was postponed and got released on 12 December 2012 on the eve of Rajinikanth's birthday. A musical night was held on 30 December.
The album received mixed critical response. Behindwoods wrote: "Alex Pandian is yet another unpretentious effort from DSP who attempts to offer nothing but lighthearted fun set to unfailing dance beat. DSP unabashedly sticks to his guns and fires in places". Musicperk.com rated the album 6/10 quoting "DSP seriously needs to re-invent his music".[unreliable source?]
|1.||"Onnam Class"||Vaali||Mukesh, Priyadarshini|
|3.||"Naalu Pakkam"||Viveka||Devi Sri Prasad, Anitha|
|4.||"Bad Boy"||Karunakaran||Baba Sehgal, Priya Himesh|
|5.||"Rayya Rayya"||P. Vijay||Javed Ali, Ranina Reddy|
The film opened 70 - 80% occupancy on first day collected 85.2 million at the box office. AP first week collection around 254.3 million at the box office.Because of new releases Samar and Kanna Laddu Thinna Aasaiya which got positive and fantastic collection at the box office the film heavily fall collection at the box office. The Telugu version of film released in 120 screens. The film collected 60 million at the box office. The film total worldwide collection is around 420 million. 
In the first two days, Alex Pandian earned £1,412 (Rs 1363,000) in 11 screens at UK box office. The average per screens was £1,401 (Rs 123,000). It made $7,293 (Rs 639,000) on the release day but the following day the business dipped, as it collected $1,062 (Rs 619,000) on Saturday. In the US, Alex Pandian made $1,542 (Rs 902,000) in 12 screens with a per screen average oft $1,379 (Rs 75.19 thousand). The film total collection is overseas around 14.3 million.
- "'Alex Pandian Dubbed in Hindi'". SouthyMania. February 4, 2014. Retrieved February 4, 2014.
- "Karthi after Dhanush". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "Karthi and Priyamani unites yet again - Bollywood Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- Oor Kaalan (12 February 2012). "Karthi - Suraaj film titled Alex Pandian! | Tamil Cinema News, Latest Movie Kollywood Gossips, Reviews". Kollyinsider.com. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Karthi- Waiting for the right choice". Sify.com. 20 March 2011. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "Bhavana Turns Down Karthi - Bhavana - Karthi - Tamil Movie News". Behindwoods.com. 10 November 2011. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "Everyone wants a piece of Karthi". The Times of India. 20 December 2011. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "Karthi’s Four Heroines - Karthi - Suraaj - Anushka - Nikitha - Sanusha - Meghna Naidu - Tamil Movie News". Behindwoods.com. 7 January 2012. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "Meghana opts out of Karthi’s film". The Times of India. 28 January 2012. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "Four heroines for Karthi - Kannada Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- Shankaran Malini, TNN (10 February 2012). "Akanksha Puri: Who’s that gal?". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Sanusha to romance Karthi". The Times of India. 7 January 2012. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- "The Villains In Alex Pandian - Karthi - Milind Soman - Tamil Movie News". Behindwoods.com. 17 February 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- Parvathy S Nayar, TNN (7 August 2012). "Busy days ahead for Pratap Pothen". The Times of India. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- palPalani (15 November 2011). "Karthi with Anushka in Chalakuddi". Southdreamz.com. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Karthi-Anushka film hits the floors - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 12 November 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- palPalani (9 December 2011). "Elephants enter Karthi - Anushka film set". Southdreamz.com. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Betting Big On Karthi - Karthi - Suraaj - Alex Pandian - Anushka - Nikitha - Sanusha - Tamil Movie News". Behindwoods.com. 7 March 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Alex Pandian shoot stalled". The Times of India. 14 March 2012.
- "Ameer Refutes Allegations - Ameer - Karthi - Alex Pandian". Behindwoods.com. 14 March 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Anushka Challenges Karthi - Karthi - Anushka - Alex Pandian - Suraj - Tamil Movie News". Behindwoods.com. 7 May 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Anushka shoots sans break". IndiaGlitz. 28 August 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Karthi And Anushka Go To Kerala - Karthi - Anushka - Alex Pandian - Santhanam". Behindwoods.com. 22 May 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Karthi, Anushka fight in train". IndiaGlitz. 12 June 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Karthi's costly stunt sequence for Alex Pandian". Sify.com. 13 June 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Anushka Cries, Alex Pandian Shooting In Trouble - Anushka - Alex Pandian - Karthi". Behindwoods.com. 25 August 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Alex Pandian's Unique Distinction - Alex Pandian - Karthi - Anushka". Behindwoods.com. 25 August 2012. Retrieved 7 December 2012.
- "Movie Review:Alex Pandian". Sify.com. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Review: Alex Pandian is a disaster - Rediff.com Movies". Rediff.com. 14 January 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Alex Pandian movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- Malathi Rangarajan (12 January 2013). "Chennai / Cinema : Clichés of the commercial". The Hindu. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Review: ‘Alex Pandian’". Deccan Chronicle. 15 January 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "'Alex Pandian': Gives no reason to cheer (Tamil Movie Review)". Newstrackindia.com. 12 January 2013. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- TNN 12 Dec 2012, 11.03AM IST (12 December 2012). "Alex Pandian's tracklist". The Times of India. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Alex Pandian audio gets launched, track list out - Tamil Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. 12 December 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Alex Pandian audio launch on November 24th - Tamil Movie News". Indiaglitz.com. 14 November 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Alex Pandian audio confirmed on 12/12/12". Sify. 20 November 2012. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- "Alex Pandian , Karthi, Devi Sri Prasad". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- "Alex pandian Music Review Alex pandian, Karthi, Santhanam". Behindwoods.com. 12 December 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2013.
- Name * (17 January 2013). "Alex Pandian | Musicperk - Trending news, analysis, reviews, ratings and exclusive content for music". Musicperk. Retrieved 25 February 2013.