Alex Smith (tight end)
Smith in 2012
|No. 81 Cincinnati Bengals|
|Date of birth:||May 22, 1982|
|Place of birth:||Denver, Colorado|
|Height:||6 ft 4 in (1.93 m)|
|Weight:||250 lb (113 kg)|
|High school:||Denver (CO) Mullen|
|NFL draft:||2005 / Round: 3 / Pick: 71|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2013
Stats at NFL.com
Edwin Alexander "Alex" Smith (born May 22, 1982), is an American football tight end for the Cincinnati Bengals of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft. He played college football at Stanford.
Smith attended high school at J. K. Mullen High School in Denver, Colorado. As a senior he was a Super Prep first-team All-American, Prep Star All-Midlands, All-State and All-Centennial League selection. He was a Nominee for the Fred Steinmark Award, which is given to the Colorado Athlete of the Year. He also played basketball and ran track.
Smith played college football at Stanford University. He was a three-year starter and was runner-up to the John Mackey Award, given to the nation’s top tight end, in 2004. Some of his honors included 2004 second-team consensus All-American, 2004 Team MVP, 2003 Honorable mention All-Pac-10, 2003 Honorable mention academic All-Pac-10 and 2002 Academic All-Pac-10. He finished his career starting 32 of 44 games, making 107 receptions for 1,291 yards and eight touchdowns.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Smith was drafted by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the third round of the 2005 NFL Draft. As a rookie he started 10 of 16 games and recorded 41 receptions for 367 yards and two touchdowns. In 2006 he started 7 of 14 games and made 35 receptions for 250 and three touchdowns and in 2007 he started all 14 games he played in totaling 385 yards on 32 receptions and three touchdowns. In his last year with the Buccaneers in 2008 he started 12 of 14 games making 21 receptions for 250 yards and three touchdowns.
Smith finished his career with the Buccaneers starting 43 of 58 games, recording 129 receptions for 1,252 yards and 11 touchdowns.
New England Patriots
- "JOHN MACKEY AWARD – AWARD FINALISTS HISTORY" (PDF). Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- Join the discussion: Click to view comments, add yours (May 1, 2009). "Tampa Bay Buccaneers trade tight end Alex Smith to New England Patriots for 2010 draft pick – Tampa Bay Times". Tampabay.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- "Report: Patriots Release Alex Smith, Trade David Thomas – New England Patriots". NESN.com. September 5, 2009. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Mosley, Matt. "The Eagles have a new TE – NFC East Blog – ESPN". Espn.go.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- [dead link]
- "Browns Free Agency: Cleveland Re-Signs Tight End Alex Smith – SB Nation Cleveland". Cleveland.sbnation.com. March 13, 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-13.
- Division no problem for Smith
- "Madden Bowl Winners". ListAfterList.com. Retrieved 2012-08-13.