Teixeira playing for Shakhtar Donetsk in 2011
|Full name||Alex Teixeira Santos|
|Date of birth||6 January 1990|
|Place of birth||Duque de Caxias, Brazil|
|Height||1.73 m (5 ft 8 in)|
|Playing position||Attacking midfielder|
|1999–2007||Vasco da Gama|
|2008–2010||Vasco da Gama||51||(11)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 23 May 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Alex Teixeira Santos or simply Alex Teixeira (Brazilian Portuguese: [aˈlɛks teˈʃejɾɐ]; Ukrainian: Алекс Тейшейра; born 6 January 1990 in Duque de Caxias), is a Brazilian attacking midfielder, who currently plays for Shakhtar Donetsk. He started his career with Vasco da Gama making his debut for the senior team at the age of 18, before moving to Shakhtar in November 2009. His debut for Shakhtar came on 20 March 2010. He has been capped at Under-17 and Under-20 level for Brazil.
Vasco de Gama
Teixeira was promoted to the senior squad for the tour of Dubai in January 2008. On 11 May 2008 he made his league debut for the club, as a substitute, in a 1–0 defeat to Internacional at the age of 18. His first goal for the club came on 28 June 2008 when he scored a brace in a 4–2 victory over Ipatinga. On 22 August he netted the only goal in a 1–0 victory over Portuguesa. Vasco were relegated at the end of the season, finishing in 18th position with 40 points, finishing 4 points off safety.
On 8 February 2009 he was sent off in a Campeonato Carioca match against Fluminense. Teixeira scored his first Série B goal in a 2–1 defeat to Bahia on 25 July 2009. On 13 November 2009 he scored his final goal for the club in a 2–1 victory over América. He made his final appearance for the club on 28 November, in a 2–0 defeat to Ipatinga. At the end of the season Vasco were promoted back to the Série A after winning the league by 7 points. This was Texeira's first, and only, trophy during his time with Vasco. On 21 December 2009, at the age of 19, he left Vasco to join Ukrainian side FC Shakhtar Donetsk, joining for a fee of around 6 million euros on a five-year deal with his new club. He made 92 appearances for the club scoring 14 times, including 51 league appearances with 11 goals.
Teixeira made his debut for the club on 20 March 2010. He started a league match against Zorya Luhansk, before being taken off for Ilsinho after 55 minutes. Shakhtar won the match 2–0. His home debut came on 25 April in a 3–0 victory over Chornomorets Odesa. He was a 65th minute replacement for Ilsinho. His final appearance of the season came on 9 May in a 3–2 win against Tavryia Simferopol He ended the season with 3 appearances for the club, all of which came in the league. Shakhtar won the Premier League by 6 points over second placed Dynamo Kyiv, giving Teixeira his first trophy as a Shakhtar Donetsk player.
On 4 July Teixeira came on as a 68th minute replacement for Jádson in Shakhtar's 7–1 Super Cup victory over Tavriya. His European debut came in a 1–0 Champions League group stage victory over Partizan Belgrade on 15 September. He scored his first goal for the club on 3 October in injury time against Dynamo Kyiv in a 2–0 win. On 23 October he came on as a substitute for Vitaliy Vitsenets in the 46th minute and scored the only goal in a 1–0 victory over Vorskla Poltava in the 57th minute, before being sent off after 63 minutes for a second bookable offence. He replaced Willian in the 77th minute of Shakhtar's 2–0 Ukrainian Cup Final victory against Dynamo Kyiv. He made 39 appearances for the club, 26 of which came in the league, and scored 6 goals, with 5 in the league, as Shakhtar secured the treble (Premier League, Cup and Super Cup).
Teixeira's first match of the season came in the Super Cup. He came on as a 64th minute replacement for Henrikh Mkhitaryan but could not prevent Shakhtar from losing 3–1 to Dynamo Kyiv. This loss prevented Shakhtar from winning the treble for the second year in a row but they did manage to recapture the Premier League title and the Cup. His first goal of the season came on 24 July in a 2–1 league victory over Karpaty Lviv. He scored the first goal in Shakhtar's 2–1 extra time victory over Metalurh Donetsk in the Ukrainian Cup Final. Shakhtar ended the Premier League as champions with 79 points, 4 ahead of nearest rivals Dynamo Kyiv marking Teixeira's third league title in three seasons with the club. The cup success was his second Ukrainian Cup win with the club. He made 37 appearances, scoring 10 goals. 26 of the appearances and 7 goals came in the league. The other 3 goals came in the cup. He finished the season as Shakhtar's top scorer in the Ukrainian Cup, 2 goals behind the overall top goalscorer, Maicon who scored 5.
After losing out to Dynamo in the Super Cup the previous year, Shakhtar overcame Metalurh Donetsk 2–0 to regain the trophy. Teixeira started the match but was replaced after 77 minutes for the newly signed Marko Dević. He gave Shakhtar the lead in a Champions League group stage match against Italian side Juventus on 2 October, however the match ended as a 1–1 draw. This marked his first ever goal in the competition. He scored the opener in a 2–1 victory against English side Chelsea in the Champions League on 23 October. On 27 October he netted the only goal in a 1–0 victory against Tavriya. After the departure of Fernandinho Alex has been asked to drop deeper in the pitch and act as a replacement. He is quite happy to play deeper and when asked about it he said "Yes, indeed, after the departure of Fernandinho, we discussed this issue. I'm going to play in this position. It is important to adapt and get used to it, to operate up to the mark so that the team can continue winning". In July 2013, Teixeira signed a new five-year contract with Shakhtar.
Teixeira is capped at Under-17 and under-20 level for Brazil. He played for Brazil at the 2007 Under-17 World Cup and the 2009 Under-20 World Cup. In the latter tournament he scored 3 goals but missed the decisive penalty in the final shoot-out against Ghana. He was voted the second best player in the tournament, behind Ghana's Dominic Adiyiah.
Alex Teixeira indicated that he would be likely to accept a call-up for Ukraine national football team if asked.
|Vasco da Gama||2008||29||5||7||1||2||0||17||2||55||8|
- Ukrainian Premier League: 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Ukrainian Cup: 2011, 2012, 2013
- Ukrainian Super Cup: 2010, 2012, 2013
- "Vasco vs Ipatinga 4–2". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Portuguesa vs Vasco 0–1". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "2008 Serie A". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Fluminense vs Vasco 0–0". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Bahia vs Vasco 2–1". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Vasco vs América 2–1". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Ipatinga vs Vasco 2–0". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Brazil Second Level 2009". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Alex Teixeira is Shakhtar player". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Shakhtar take on Alex Teixeira". UEFA.com. 22 December 2009. Archived from the original on 19 February 2010. Retrieved 2010-02-07.
- "Zorya vs Shakhtar 0–2". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Shakhtar vs Chornomorets 3–0". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Tavirya vs Shakhtar 2–3". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Ukraine 2009/10". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Shakhtar vs Tavriya 7–1".
- "Shakhtar vs Partizan 1–0". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Shakhtar vs Dynamo 2–0". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Shakhtar vs Vorskla 1–0". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Dynamo Kyiv vs Shakhtar 0–2". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Ukraine 2010/11". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Shakhtar vs Dynamo 1–3". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Ukraine 2011/12". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Shakhtar vs Karpaty 2–1". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Metalurh Donetsk vs Shakhtar Donetsk 1–2". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Metalurh Donetsk vs Shakhtar Donetsk 0–2". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- "Juventus vs Shaktar 1–1". Retrieved 2 October 2012.
- "Shakhtar vs Chelsea 2–1". Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Tavriya vs Shakhtar 0–1". Retrieved 29 October 2012.
- "Alex Teixeira em campo pelo Brasil contra a Costa Rica nesta quarta". 10 December 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-18.
- "UEFA Champions League Alex Teixeira". Retrieved 17 September 2012.
- Alex Teixeira – 2008
- Alex Teixeira – 2009
- (Portuguese) netvasco.com.br
- (Portuguese) CBF
- (Portuguese) oglobo.globo.com
- (Portuguese) globoesporte
- (Portuguese) netvasco statistics 2008
- (Spanish) Perlas del fútbol
- UEFA Profile