||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010)|
|Born||Alex Newcombe Walkinshaw
5 October 1974
Barking, London, England
|Height||6' (1.83 m)|
|Television||The Bill (1999–2001, 2003–10)
Waterloo Road (2011–12)
Holby City (2014–)
|Spouse(s)||Sarah Trusler (2009–present)|
Alex Newcombe Walkinshaw (born 5 October 1974) is an English actor best known for playing the role of Dale "Smithy" Smith in ITV's long running police procedural series, The Bill and his role in both Casualty and Holby City as Adrian Fletcher.
Early life and career
During his time on The Bill as a PC, Walkinshaw met his wife Sarah when she worked as a make-up artist on the show. They married on 20 June 2009 at the Queen's House in Greenwich. They live in Penarth, Vale of Glamorgan with their two children.
He is very close friends with his former co-stars Roberta Taylor and René Zagger. Taylor is like a second mother to him and is even grandmother by proxy to his children. Zagger is his best friend and they have known each other since they were 15 and 16; they also shared a flat when they were both on The Bill. Zagger and Scott Maslen were his best men at his wedding.
He is a West Ham supporter and enjoys programmes such as CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and Doctor Who. He is also left-handed and has admitted that, following an incident in Blackpool, he has a fear of snakes.
He undertakes local charity work and is the patron for the St Thomas' Lupus Trust. On 24 March 2007, he took part in The Weakest Link and won £9,450, which he donated to Essex based charity "Kids in Need", which grants wishes for underprivileged, sick and terminally ill children. On 2 May 2007, he opened a new community police office in Chislehurst, for the Safer Neighbourhood teams from Chislehurst and Mottingham.
He first appeared in The Bill in three episodes as a guest star in 1992, 1993 and 1995, before joining as a regular cast member in 1999. It was whilst he was acting at the Royal Court Theatre that he was spotted by one of the producers of The Bill and was encouraged to audition for the programme. He joined The Bill as PC Dale Smith, better known as "Smithy" and then left in 2001. In 2003, he returned when his character was promoted to Sergeant. When The Bill was axed in Scotland in 2009 by STV, Walkinshaw was the last person to appear on Scottish screens alongside Sam Callis as Sgt Callum Stone.
In 2011, Walkinshaw was cast in Waterloo Road as PE teacher, Jeremy 'Jez' Diamond, replacing Paul Nicholls. Following his departure from the show, he joined the cast of Casualty as nurse, Adrian 'Fletch' Fletcher. In 2014, the character made a permanent switch from Casualty to its sister show Holby City.
- Saving Santa (2013)
|2014—||Holby City||Adrian Fletcher||Regular role|
|2012–14||Casualty||Adrian Fletcher||Regular role|
|2011–12||Waterloo Road||Jeremy 'Jez' Diamond||Regular role|
|2003–10||The Bill||Sgt/Insp. Dale Smith||Regular role
National Television Awards 2008 – Outstanding Drama Performance – Nominated
|2002||Stan the Man||Tommy|
|1999–2001||The Bill||PC Dale Smith||Regular role|
|1995–98||McCallum||DS Small||Regular role|
|1995||Crown Prosecutor||Troy Daly|
|1995||The Bill||Andy Franklin|
|1995||A Touch of Frost||Pearce|
|1995||London's Burning||Truck Driver|
|1993||The Bill||Lee Tarrant|
|1993||To Play the King||Boy Mugger|
|1993||A Question of Guilt||Ed Darvas|
|1992||The Bill||Steven Murray|
|1992–93||Side by Side||Terry Shane|
|1990||Death in Venice||Older Boy|
- "Alex fits The Bill". United Kingdom: Ilford Recorder. 30 July 2009. Retrieved 5 February 2010.
- "About Us". United Kingdom: St Thomas' Lupus Trust. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- "New police office opened by TV actor". www.newsshopper.co.uk. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- Pratt, Steve (1 July 2009). "Beat goes on". United Kingdom: The Northern Echo. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- "Bill cast clear-out". United Kingdom: BBC. 30 May 2006. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- Millar, Paul (22 June 2010). "Soaps – News – Walkinshaw: 'The Bill end was emotional' – Digital Spy". Digital Spy. Archived from the original on 24 June 2010. Retrieved 22 June 2010.
- Kilkelly, Daniel (21 July 2008). "'The Bill' actor hopes for Walford role". United Kingdom: Digital Spy. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- "BBC – Press Office – Jaye Jacobs and Alex Walkinshaw join Waterloo Road". BBC Online. BBC. 30 May 2011. Archived from the original on 2 June 2011. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- Gardham, Duncan (21 October 2008). "Seven Dr Whos set for reunion". United Kingdom: Telegraph.co.uk. Retrieved 4 February 2010.
- Hemley, Matthew (30 October 2008). "Double drama win for Doctor Who at National Television Awards". United Kingdom: The Stage. Retrieved 4 February 2010.