Vega at the Premiere of Machete Kills at the Fantastic Fest.
|Born||Alexa Ellesse Vega
August 27, 1988
Miami, Florida, U.S.
Sean Covel (m. 2010; div. 2012)
Alexa Ellesse Pena-Vega (née Vega; born August 27, 1988) is an American actress and singer. She is best known for her role as Carmen Cortez in the Spy Kids film series and Shilo Wallace in the film Repo! the Genetic Opera. In 2009, she starred as the title character Ruby Gallagher in the ABC Family series Ruby & The Rockits.
Vega was born in Miami, Florida. Her father is Colombian and her mother, Gina Rue, is an American former model. Vega has six siblings: paternal half-sister Margaux Vega (b. 1981), sister Krizia Vega (b. 1990), sister Makenzie Vega (b. 1994; starred in Saw and Sin City), maternal half-sister Greylin James (b. 2000), maternal half-brother Jet James (b. 2005), and maternal half-brother Cruz Hudson Rue (b. 2009). She moved with her family to California when she was four years old.
In 1996, Vega starred as young Jo Harding in Twister. She guest-starred in numerous television shows and films, including ER, Follow the Stars Home, Ghost Whisperer, and The Bernie Mac Show. She became known worldwide in 2001 for her role as Carmen Cortez in Spy Kids. The first Spy Kids film was a huge success, and subsequently two sequels, Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams and Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over were filmed. During the shooting of the three films, she performed most of her own stunts. Vega reprised the role in the 2011 sequel, Spy Kids: All the Time in the World.
In 2003, she was named one of that year's hottest teen celebrities in the July 2003 issue Vanity Fair. In 2004, Vega finished filming two films: Sleepover and State's Evidence. Then the following year she starred in the Lifetime television film entitled Odd Girl Out as a victim of cyber-bullying. She also filmed for another made-for-TV movie, Walkout. In June 2006, she finished filming Remember the Daze, which was released in limited theaters on April 2007. She also finished filming Repo! the Genetic Opera, which was released in 2008. Vega has also been confirmed as the lead role in Helix, written and directed by Aram Rappaport, which began filming in Chicago in March 2008. Vega was originally cast in the 2009 Robert Rodriguez film Shorts, however, due to her being in Australia for the filming of Broken Hill, she had to be recast. She was replaced by Kat Dennings. In 2009, she played Ruby Gallagher on the ABC Family television sitcom Ruby & The Rockits, which also starred Patrick and David Cassidy. The series was not renewed for a second season.
Vega played Wick in the 2012 film The Devil's Carnival, a film from director Darren Lynn Bousman and screenwriter Terrance Zdunich, who previously worked with Vega in Repo! The Genetic Opera. Throughout 2012, Vega starred in the independent thriller, 2br/1ba, directed by Rob Margolies and co-stars with Spencer Grammer and Kathryn Morris. Vega also starred in the Lifetime Channel movie The Pregnancy Project and her animated film The Clockwork Girl was completed. Vega's film The Mine which was filmed in 2010 got a limited release/screening. Vega also voiced Christina in the animated series Unsupervised and had a guest role on Royal Pains. Vega played the young heroine in Aerosmith's music video "Legendary Child".
As of 2013, Vega finished work on the films 23 Blast, Machete Kills, Bounty Killer, Wicked Blood, The Remaining, & The Hunters which will have release dates throughout 2013 and 2014. Vega also had a role on the Big Time Rush series finale "Big Time Dreams", playing herself.
She recorded three songs for the soundtracks while playing Carmen Cortez in the Spy Kids films. She released her debut single, "Isle of Dreams", to coincide with the release of the second film. She also released "Game Over", for the third film. Another song, "Heart Drive" featuring Bobby Edner, was also recorded for Spy Kids 3. She also has recorded songs for the movie Repo! The Genetic Opera, released in 2008.
Vega sang the song "Christmas is the Time to Say 'I Love You'" in the ABC Family film Santa Baby 2: Christmas Maybe. The track appears on the compilation album Songs to Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas, which was released on November 3, 2009 by Walt Disney Records. The music video for the song premiered during the ABC Family's 25 Days of Christmas programming block in 2009.
Vega enjoys freshwater fishing, can speak Spanish fluently, is an experienced gymnast, and describes herself as a Christian. Vega married film producer Sean Covel on October 10, 2010 in a ceremony held in his hometown of Lead, South Dakota. She wore an Ian Stuart gown and was walked down the aisle by Robert Rodriguez. Vega is close friends with Nikki Reed, and was the maid of honor at Reed's wedding to Paul McDonald on October 16, 2011. In July 2012, Vega announced on Twitter that she had divorced Covel. In August 2013, while on a cruise with friends, Vega became engaged to actor and singer Carlos Pena, Jr. The couple married on January 4, 2014 in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
|1995||Nine Months||Molly Dwyer|
|It Was Him or Us||Young Carrie||TV film|
|1996||A Promise to Carolyn||Young Kay||TV film|
|Twister||Jo Harding (age 5)|
|Shattered Mind||Sarah||also known as The Terror Inside|
|The Glimmer Man||Cole's Daughter||cameo|
|Ghosts of Mississippi||Claire DeLaughter|
|1998||Dennis the Menace Strikes Again||Gina||direct-to-video|
|The Deep End of the Ocean||Kerry Cappadora|
|Run the Wild Fields||Opal 'Pug' Miller|
|2001||Follow the Stars Home||Amy Williams||also known as A Second Chance (Australia)|
|Spy Kids||Carmen Cortez|
|2002||Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams|
|2003||Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over|
|2005||Odd Girl Out||Vanessa||TV film|
|Walkout||Paula Crisostomo||TV film|
|Marrying God||Ivy||short film|
|2007||Remember the Daze||Holly|
|2008||Repo! The Genetic Opera||Shilo Wallace|
|Broken Hill||Kat Rogers|
|2010||Mother's Day||Jenna Luther|
|2011||From Prada to Nada||Mary|
|Spy Kids: All the Time in the World||Carmen Cortez|
|2012||The Pregnancy Project||Gaby Rodriguez||TV film|
|The Devil's Carnival||Wick|
|The Clockwork Girl||Tesla|
|2 BR/1 BA||Janie|
|The Hunters||Dylan Savini|
|1993–94||Evening Shade||Emily Newton||6 episodes|
|1995||ER||Bonnie Howe||Episode: Sleepless in Chicago"|
|Chicago Hope||Sara Wilmette||Episode: "Every Day a Little Death"|
|1996||Life's Work||Tess Hunter||Pilot episode|
|1998||The Magnificent Seven||Olivia Greer||Episode: "Safecracker"|
|To Have & to Hold||Kelly McGrail||7 episodes|
|1999||Ladies Man||Wendy Stiles No. 2||9 episodes|
|2002||All That||Carmen Cortez||Episode: "Spy Kids/Play"|
|2003||The Bernie Mac Show||Jill||Episode: "Magic Jordan"|
|Trading Spaces: Boys vs. Girls||Herself||Episode: Siblings "Eli vs. Kali"|
|2009||Ghost Whisperer||Serena||Episodes: "Endless Love"|
|Ruby & The Rockits||Ruby Gallagher||main character|
|2010||The Middle||Morgan||2 episodes: "The Break-Up" and "Worry Duty"|
|Royal Pains||Hollister||Episode: "Imperfect Storm"|
|2013||Big Time Rush||Herself||Episode: "Big Time Dreams"|
|2014||The Tomorrow People||Hillary Cole||Recurring|
|2002||"Isle of Dreams"||Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams||Robert Rodriguez||Milan Records|
|2003||"Game Over"||Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over||Robert Rodriguez & Rebecca Rodriguez|
|2008||"Seventeen"||Repo! The Genetic Opera||Terrance Zdunich & Darren Smith||Lionsgate Records|
|2009||"Lost in Your Own Life"||Ruby & The Rockits||Shaun Cassidy||Hollywood Records|
|"You Are Where I Live"||David Cassidy|
|"The Way It's Gonna Be"|
|"Forever Your Song"|
|"Too High a Price"|
|"Possibilities" (with Austin Butler)|
|"Now When I Close My Eyes"|
|"Christmas is the Time to Say 'I Love You'"||Santa Baby 2: Christmas Maybe||Billy Squier||Walt Disney Records|
- 2002: Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams
- 2003: Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over
- 2008: Repo! The Genetic Opera
- 2009: Songs to Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas
- 2012: The Devil's Carnival
|2002||"Isle of Dreams"||Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams||Robert Rodriguez||Spy Kids 2: The Island of Lost Dreams|
|2009||"You Are Where I Live"||Ruby & The Rockits||Ted Wass||ABC Family/ABCFamily.com|
|"Christmas is the Time to Say 'I Love You'"||Songs to Celebrate 25 Days of Christmas||Santa Baby 2: Christmas Maybe/ABC Family Channel|
- "Alexa Forever". RE: Questions for Miss Alexa Vega. Retrieved August 20, 2006. "My father's side is Colombian (Bogota)... and I don't know why they said my mom was Italian. lol... She's not. My family and I were trying to figure out what my mom was, but we can only go back to 5 generations and they were all from Florida. haha. so .. Floridian? ahhah... my moms last name is French though."
- "Ex-spy has price on head, ache in heart". Miami Herald. September 7, 2009. Retrieved March 8, 2011. "Alexa Vega 21 is his oldest daughter with former Miami model Gina Rue With about 40 films in her career Alexa is mostly known for her role in the Spy Kids ..."
- Alexa Vega Biography at Film Reference
- Paris Hilton gets movie musical role. Retrieved August 1, 2007.
- "Spy Kids" Star Vega to Join Broadway’s Hairspray
- "Two Tickets To 'The Devil's Carnival' Please". FEARnet. March 6, 2012. Retrieved March 28, 2012.
- "Aerosmith Rocks a Warehouse in 'Legendary Child' Video". Billboard. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- "Alexa Forever". new questions, new answers. November 18, 2005. Retrieved March 20, 2008. "I was not insulted on the question about my religion. I don't think it sets people aside. I think everyone on this board is mature enough to respect everyone's beliefs and opinions. I am a Christian to answer your question."
- Nettinga, Curt (May 29, 2013). "November 20 story of engagement broken by HotSpringsStar.com quote=Covel managed to complete his second mission; to propose marriage to Vega. And she said, "Yes."". Hotspringsstar.com. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- Rosario, Mariela. "Alexa Vega's Wedding Album". Latina.com. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- "'Spy Kids' Star Alexa Vega - I'm a 23-year-old Divorcee Now!". TMZ.com. July 15, 2012. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- Shira, Dahvi (July 16, 2012). "Spy Kids Star Alexa Vega Files for Divorce". People.com. Retrieved June 7, 2013.
- Eggenberger, Nicole (June 19, 2013). [http:/ www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/alexa-vega-engaged-to-carlos-pena-jr-congratulated-by-ex-husband-sean-covel-2013129 "Alexa Vega Engaged to Carlos Pena, Jr., Congratulated by Ex-Husband On November 2013 Vega admitted to the public that she is pregnant- Us Weekly"]. Usmagazine.com. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- Spero, Jesse. "Alexa Vega Dishes Engagement Details: How Did Carlos Pena Pop The Question?". Access Hollywood. NBC Universal Inc. Retrieved 3 October 2013.
- "Spy Kids actress Alexa Vega ties the knot with Nickelodeon star Carlos Pena 18 months after her divorce from Sean Covel. After that, they changed their surname to PenaVega.". dailymail.co.uk. January 5, 2014. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
- "Tommy2.net". Tommy2.net. September 25, 2009. Retrieved November 26, 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alexa Vega.|