||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (June 2012)|
Alex Large and Liane Sommers are a British directing team who have been based in London and Berlin since 2000. They have made music videos for Kylie Minogue, La Roux, Tiga, Take That, Scissor Sisters, Bloc Party, Sam Sparro, Hercules and Love Affair, Zebra Katz, Tocotronic and Deichkind
Alex and Liane first met at 13 and again at 16 when they both studied art and theatre at sixth form college. They proceeded to live and study together at Nottingham University, Sommers studying Theatre Design and Large studying Contemporary Art.
Large and Sommers are founding members of the collaborative Arts collective, Gob Squad and participated in projects from 1994-2001. Early projects, "Stars and their Pies", "Science Fiction Kitchen" and "Way out West" took place at Glastonbury Festival in the mid 90s. Later work was site specific and durational, often incorporating elaborate soundscapes, pre-recorded video and live cameras. Locations have included Houses,Vehicles, Car parks, shopping centres, rooftops and constructed spaces. Projects were presented internationally at the likes of Fondation Cartier Paris, Institute of Contemporary Arts London, Tate Modern London, Berlin Biennale, Walker Arts Centre Minneapolis, Documenta X Germany, The Sean Kelly Gallery NY and Portland Institute for Contemporary Arts. Alex and Liane parted company with their arts collective in 2001. As a duo, they have created several video installation artworks, directed at the Berlin State Opera and provided visuals for music events in Berlin.
In 2004, they were requested to develop and direct the visual concept for Scissor Sisters' first single "Laura".
Alex and Liane have directed commercials for companies such as Nike, Mercedes Benz, Carolina Herrera, Bosch, BBC RADIO 1 and the 2014 World Cup Mercedes DFB Advert with the winning German Football Team.
In April 2014, they were 1 of 12 Artists invited to the 2nd Olympus Corporation Photography Playground Installation in Berlin. The installation entitled "The Assembly" is Part 1 of an upcoming series of installations involving Styled Wigs and Hairpiece's.
They were asked by Phil Collins (artist) to perform in his Film about Glasgow entitled "Tomorrow is always too long" for the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Queens Park, Glasgow. In which they sang the song "Duke" by the Artist Cate Le Bon and performed by the Royal Scottish National Orchestra
Awards / Nominations
- 2011 Nominated UK MVA Best Pop Video (Kylie Minogue)
- 2011 Nominated UK MVA Best Best Telecine (Kylie Minogue)
- 2011 Awarded YDA Cannes Nike / Footlocker - I AM THE RULES
- 2010 Nominated UK MVA Best Pop Video (Cheryl Cole "Parachute")
- 2009 Nominated UK MVA Best Director
- 2009 Nominated UK MVA Best Dance Video category (Tiga "Shoes")
- 2009 Awarded MTV Australia Best Dance Video (Sam Sparro "Black and Gold")
- 2008 Awarded MTV VMA Best UK Video (The Ting Tings, "Shut Up and Let Me Go")
- 2008 Nominated MTV VMA for MTV Video Music Award for Video of the Year, The Ting Tings, "Shut Up and Let Me Go"
- 2008 Nominated for UK MVA Best Director
- 2008 Nominated for UK MVA Best Pop Video (The Ting Tings "Shut Up and Let Me Go")
- 2008 Nominated for UK MVA Best Editing (The Ting Tings "Shut Up and Let Me Go")
- 2007 Nominated for Best Rock Video at Festival Du Clip, France (Rinocerose, "Cubicle")
- 2006 Awarded Antville Most Fun Video category (Deichkind- "Ich Beteube Mich")
- 2004 Awarded for UK MVA Best New Director
- Hercules and Love Affair - "Do you feel the same?"
- Zebra Katz - "I think we're Alone now"
- Tiga - "Plush"
- Take That - Love Love
- Kylie Minogue - "Get Outta My Way"
- Cheryl Cole - "Parachute"
- La Roux - "I'm Not Your Toy"
- Tiga - "Shoes"
- Deichkind - "Luftbahn".
- Dido - "Don't Believe in Love"
- The Ting Tings - "Thats Not My Name" (US version).
- Deichkind - "Arbeit Nervt"
- Micky Green - "Oh"
- The Ting Tings - "Shut Up and Let Me Go"
- Sam Sparro - "Black and Gold"
- Mika - "Happy Ending"
- Tocotronic - Imitattionen
- Tocotronic - Kapitulation
- Deichkind - "Ich Beteube Mich"
- Rinocerose - "Cubicle"
- Namosh - The Pulse
- Nephew - Movie Klip
- Madsen -"Die Perfektion"
- Bloc Party - "Banquet"
- Bloc Party - "So Here We Are"
- Shystie - "One Wish"
- Armand Van Helden - "Hear My Name"
- Shystie- "Step Bac"
- Dave Clarke Featuring Chicks on Speed- "What Was Her Name?"
- Scissor Sisters- "Laura"
- Hanayo- Joe Le Taxi
- Anonymous Bootleg- YouGottaHaveFreak
- "Video created the radio star". Hynam Kendall. link - last accessed on October 13, 2009.
- "ALEXANDLIANE DETAIL PROMO FOR TIGA'S SHOES". Digital Arts Online Website. link - last accessed on July 13, 2009.
- "Alex and Liane Director Videography". MVDB. link - last accessed on December 13, 2006.
- "Showreel". Digital Arts Online Website. link - last accessed on October 16, 2009.
- Roselee Goldberg on Gob Squad Performance: Live Art Since 1960
- The Making Of A Memory - 10 Jahre Gob Squad erinnert in Wort und Bild 2005 Synwolt Verlag Berlin ISBN 3-937065-06-7
- "ALEXANDLIANE Samsame Interview"