Location in Pulaski County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||2.2 sq mi (5.7 km2)|
|• Land||2.2 sq mi (5.7 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||358 ft (109 m)|
|• Density||1,300/sq mi (510/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0057254|
Alexander is a town in Pulaski and Saline counties in the U.S. state of Arkansas. Located in Central Arkansas, the town was founded as a construction camp for the nearby railroad. Following its completion, the citizens decided to incorporate in 1887. Today Alexander is known as the home of the Alexander Juvenile Correctional Facility. The population was 2,901 at the 2010 census.
Alexander is located at (34.631508, -92.444188).
As of the census of 2000, there were 614 people, 276 households, and 171 families residing in the town. The population density was 526.8/km² (1,369.5/mi²). There were 305 housing units at an average density of 261.7/km² (680.3/mi²). The racial makeup of the town was 70.68% White, 26.71% Black or African American, 0.49% Native American, 0.98% Asian, 0.33% from other races, and 0.81% from two or more races. 2.28% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 276 households out of which 29.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.1% were married couples living together, 17.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.0% were non-families. 32.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.22 and the average family size was 2.79.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.8% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 33.1% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 10.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 88.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 75.7 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $30,050, and the median income for a family was $35,341. Males had a median income of $28,571 versus $21,958 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,157. About 9.5% of families and 12.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.1% of those under age 18 and 11.0% of those age 65 or over.
- Local.Arkansas.gov - Alexander, retrieved September 3, 2012
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Alexander city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Alexander city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 2, 2011.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.