Alexander A. Gurshtein
Alexander A. Gurshtein (born 1937) is a Russian astronomer and historian of science.
Gurshtein earned his Candidate of Science from Sternberg State Astronomical Institute, Moscow in 1966 and a Doctor of Science degree in Physics & Mathematics from Pulkovo Astronomical Observatory in St. Petersburg (1980).
In Russia, Gurshtein was active as an astronomer in the space program and held a number of offices in professional organizations, including Head of Council for Astronomical Education and Vice Director of the Institute for History of Science & Technology, both for the Russian Ministry of Education. As a historian of science, he has served as editor-in-chief of the Annual on History of Science, published by the Russian Academy of Sciences, and Deputy Editor-in-Chief for the academic monthly, Nature. He is also the author of several books and articles on planetology, holder of five patents, and contributor to many international forums.
In 1995 he took a leave of absence from the Russian Academy and accepted a position as Visiting Professor of Astronomy & History of Science at Mesa State College in Grand Junction, Colorado. In recent years he has developed a concept of history of constellations and the zodiac which was published in American Scientist, Sky & Telescope, and other professional journals.
- "Did the pre-Indo-Europeans influence the formation of the Western Zodiac?" (abstract)
- "Gurshtein's gradualist concept of constellation origins and zodiacal development"
- Гурштейн А.А. Минувшие цивилизации в зеркале Зодиака // Природа. 1991. № 10. С. 57—71.
- Гурштейн А.А. Реконструкция происхождения зодиакальных созвездий // На рубежах познания Вселенной (Историко-астрономическиеисследования). Вып. 23. М., 1992. С. 19—63;
- Gurshtein A.A. //On the Originof the Zodiacal Constellations // Vistas in Astronomy. 1993. V. 36. P. 171—190.
Gurshtein A.A. The Zodiac and the Rootsof European Civilization. Стара Загора, сентябрь 1993 г.5. Доклад на Международной конференции по археоастрономии Оксфорд-4:
- Гурштейн А.А. Археоастрономическое досье: когда родился Зодиак?, ж. "Земля и Вселенная" № 5,2011. с.48-61. Gurshtein, A.A., Archaeoastronomical Dossier: When Zodiac was born? Zemlya I Vselennaya № 5, 2011. s.48-61
- Гурштейн, А. А. Московский астроном на заре космического века : автобиогр. заметки / А. А. Гурштейн. - М.: НЦССХ им. А. Н. Бакулева РАМН, 2012. - 675 с. "ISBN 978-5-7982-0293-5 
- H.J.Smith, A.A.Gurshtein, W.Mendell, International Manned Lunar Base: Beginning the 21st century in Space, Science & Global Security, vol. 2, pp. 209–233, 1991
- Gurshtein, A.A.,Did the Pre-Indo-Europeans Influence the Formation of the Western Zodiac?Journal of Indo-European Studies. Volume 33, Number 1 & 2, Spring/Summer 2005.