|Alexander Stewart Burton
|Born||20 January 1893
Kyneton, Victoria, Australia
|Died||9 August 1915
Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey
|Service/branch||First Australian Imperial Force|
|Years of service||1914–1915|
|Awards|| Victoria Cross
Mention in Despatches
Alexander Stewart Burton VC (20 January 1893 – 9 August 1915) was an Australian recipient of the Victoria Cross, the highest and most prestigious award for gallantry in the face of the enemy that can be awarded to British and Commonwealth forces.
He enlisted in the Australian Imperial Force on 18 August 1914, and embarked with the 7th Battalion (Victoria), on 19 October 1914. He was appointed Lance-Corporal on 10 July 1915 for "having volunteered and taken part in the forcing of Saphead D21 in the face of the enemy". He was awarded the VC for the following act:
[On 9 August 1915, at Lone Pine, Gallipoli, Turkey]... the enemy made a determined counter-attack on the centre of the newly captured trench held by Lieutenant Tubb, Corporals Burton and Dunstan and a few men. [The enemy] advanced up a sap and blew in a sandbag barricade, leaving only one foot of it standing, but Lieutenant Tubb with the two corporals repulsed the enemy and rebuilt the barricade. Supported by strong bombing parties the enemy twice again succeeded in blowing the barricade, but on each occasion they were repulsed and the barricade rebuilt, although Lieutenant Tubb was wounded in the head and arm and Corporal Burton was killed by a bomb while most gallantly building up the parapet under a hail of bombs.
Honours and awards
|Victoria Cross (VC)||9 August 1915|
|British War Medal|
|Mentioned in Despatches||28 January 1916|
- The London Gazette: . 15 October 1915. Retrieved 2007-11-15. (Victoria Cross)
- The London Gazette: . 28 January 1916. Retrieved 2007-11-15. (Mentioned in Despatches)
- Service record, p. 46.
- RELAWM16499.001 - Victoria Cross : 384 Corporal A S Burton, 7 Battalion, AIF, Australian War Memorial
- Service record, p. 49.
- Burton, Alexander Stewart, VC: Service Number 384, Service record, National Archives of Australia
- G. P. Walsh, 'Burton, Alexander Stewart (1893 - 1915)', Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 7, Melbourne University Press, 1979, pp 496–497.
- Alexander Stewart BURTON, The AIF Project, www.aif.adfa.edu.au
- Monuments to Courage (David Harvey, 1999)
- The Register of the Victoria Cross (This England, 1997)
- VCs of the First World War - Gallipoli (Stephen Snelling, 1995)