Farnerud in a friendly game with Stuttgart
|Full name||Alexander Farnerud|
|Date of birth||1 May 1984|
|Place of birth||Landskrona, Sweden|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|2006–2008||VfB Stuttgart II||4||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:00, 15 December 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
In November 2003, he was bought by France's RC Strasbourg, being an automatic first-choice in his two-and-a-half-season spell. In his first and third seasons in Ligue 1, Farnerud played alongside older brother Pontus who was first loaned by AS Monaco FC, then acquired.
Upon Strasbourg 2006 relegation, Farnerud moved to VfB Stuttgart in Germany, on a four-year deal. He was used sporadically during the course of two Bundesliga campaigns, appearing nine times for the 2007 champions.
He made his debut with the granata on 17 August 2013, in Coppa Italia against Pescara, which ended in a 1–2 defeat for Torino. On 20 October 2013, he scored his first goal in Serie A, leading the scoreline to 3–3 home draw against Inter Milan. After a difficult start to the season, in which he was often benched, he soon became a constant performer and pillar of the squad, scoring again in the 14th round against Genoa and two days later against Udinese.
|1.||20 February 2003||National Stadium, Bangkok, Thailand||Thailand||0–3||1–4||King's Cup|
|2.||28 January 2009||O.co Coliseum, Oakland, United States||Mexico||0–1||0–1||Friendly|
- "Farnerud, Alexander" (in Swedish). svenskfotboll.se. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- "Sweden round-up: Landskrona stun champions". UEFA.com. 4 July 2002. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- "Strasbourg swoop for Farnerud". UEFA.com. 15 November 2003. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- "Strasbourg secure second Farnerud". UEFA.com. 16 June 2005. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- "Stuttgart snap up Farnerud". UEFA.com. 29 May 2006.[dead link]
- "Farnerud to Bröndby". VfB Stuttgart. 8 July 2008. Retrieved 8 July 2008.[dead link]
- "Farnerud klar för Young Boys" [Farnerud confirmed at Young Boys] (in Swedish). Aftonbladet. 18 January 2011. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Carminati, Nadia (19 June 2013). "Serie A side Torino announced signing of Alexander Farnerud from Young Boys". Sky Sports. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Toro, preso il jolly svedese Farnerud A un passo il riscatto di Rodriguez". lastampa.it (in Italian). La Stampa. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "Torino: Farnerud, l'alfiere indispensabile di Ventura". calciomercato.com (in Italian). Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- "Udinese-Torino 0-2. Gol di Farnerud e Immobile". gazzetta.it (in Italian). La Gazzetta dello Sport. Retrieved 11 April 2014.
- L'Équipe stats (French)
- Alexander Farnerud French league stats at LFP.fr (French)
- Alexander Farnerud at fussballdaten.de (German)
- Alexander Farnerud at National-Football-Teams.com
- Alexander Farnerud profile at Soccerway