|Los Angeles Dodgers – No. 7|
December 20, 1986 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
Alexander Guerrero Perez (born December 20, 1986) is a Cuban professional baseball shortstop for the Los Angeles Dodgers of Major League Baseball. He defected from Cuba in 2013 to pursue a contract in Major League Baseball.
As a member of Cuba's Las Tunas team in the Cuban National Series, Guerrero was named to the 2010-2011 All-Star team as well as playing for the Cuba national baseball team at the 2012 Haarlem Baseball Week  and the 2011 World Port Tournament. He was part of the initial roster for the 2013 World Baseball Classic but did not make the final roster and reportedly sat out the regular season because he was upset at his snub.
He defected from Cuba in 2013 and obtained residency in Haiti. He began training in the Dominican Republic and on September 9, 2013, it was reported that he had been cleared by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control to sign with U.S. teams.
Guerrero was rumored to be signing with the Los Angeles Dodgers, with early reports putting his deal in the seven-year, $32 million area. However, his initial agents turned out to not be licensed and he switched to Scott Boras, who said the bidding was now wide open. On October 21, 2013, it was reported that Guerrero had reached a new agreement with the Dodgers, that would be worth $28 million over 4 years. The deal included a $10 million signing bonus and allows him to become a free agent after his age 30 season. The Dodgers officially announced his signing on October 22.
Guerrero made his professional debut with the Gigantes del Cibao in the Dominican Winter League. However, he dealt with hamstring issues and was limited to only 12 games, during which he hit .289.
- Pouliot, Matthew (2013-01-21). "Reports: Shortstop Alexander Guerrero defects from Cuba". Hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- Three Teams Vying For Cuban Shortstop Guerrero[dead link]
- "Cuba: Golden Anniversary League All-Star Team". Baseballdeworld.com. 2011-06-19. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "Cuba Announces Baseball Team to Holland". News.caribseek.com. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "Cuba announces 22-Man Roster for World Port Tournament". Mister-baseball.com. 2011-05-28. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "Cuba Pre-Selection for the 2013 World Baseball Classic". Playersofelbeisbolcubano.wordpress.com. 2012-07-09. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- Martinez, Jose Luis. "Alexander Guerrero no jugará en la Serie Nacional". Desdemipalcodefanatico.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- Adams, Steve. "Alexander Guerrero Cleared To Sign With MLB Teams". Mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- Calcaterra, Craig (September 16, 2013). "Cuban Infielder Alexander Guerrero hires Scott Boras". hardballtimes.
- Adams, Steve (October 21, 2013). "Dodgers To Sign Alexander Guerrero". mlbtraderumors.com.
- Sanchez, Jesse (October 22, 2013). "Dodgers finalize deal with Cuban infielder Guerrero". mlb.com.
- Hernandez, Dylan (October 29, 2013). "Dodgers' Dee Gordon to play center field in Dominican winter league". LA Times.
- Stephen, Eric (January 8, 2014). "Alexander Guerrero waiting on visa, still not cleared to play in U.S.". truebluela.com. Retrieved January 9, 2014.