Guerrero with the Los Angeles Dodgers
|Los Angeles Dodgers – No. 7|
December 20, 1986 |
Las Tunas, Cuba
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|March 22, 2014 for the Los Angeles Dodgers|
(through March 23, 2014)
|Runs batted in||0|
Alexander Guerrero Perez (born December 20, 1986) is a Cuban professional baseball second baseman for the Los Angeles Dodgers of Major League Baseball. He defected from Cuba in 2013 to pursue a contract in Major League Baseball.
As a member of Cuba's Las Tunas team in the Cuban National Series, Guerrero was named to the 2010-2011 All-Star team as well as playing for the Cuba national baseball team at the 2012 Haarlem Baseball Week  and the 2011 World Port Tournament. He was part of the initial roster for the 2013 World Baseball Classic but did not make the final roster and reportedly sat out the regular season because he was upset at his snub.
He defected from Cuba in 2013 and obtained residency in Haiti. He began training in the Dominican Republic and on September 9, 2013, it was reported that he had been cleared by the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control to sign with U.S. teams.
Guerrero was rumored to be signing with the Los Angeles Dodgers, with early reports putting his deal in the seven-year, $32 million area. However, his initial agents turned out to not be licensed and he switched to Scott Boras, who said the bidding was now wide open. On October 21, 2013, it was reported that Guerrero had reached a new agreement with the Dodgers, that would be worth $28 million over 4 years. The deal included a $10 million signing bonus and allows him to become a free agent after his age 30 season. The Dodgers officially announced his signing on October 22.
Guerrero made his professional debut with the Gigantes del Cibao in the Dominican Winter League. However, he dealt with hamstring issues and was limited to only 12 games, during which he hit .289.
Los Angeles Dodgers
Guerrero made the Dodgers 25-man opening day roster for the 2014 season as the team. He made his MLB debut as a pinch hitter on March 22, 2014 against the Arizona Diamondbacks but did not get to bat as he was subsequently pinch hit for himself. He had his first official at-bat the next night, and struck out. After the two game opening series in Sydney, Australia, Guerrero was optioned to the Triple-A Albuquerque Isotopes.
During a game against the Salt Lake Bees on May 20, 2014, Guerrero was involved in a dugout scuffle with Albuquerque teammate Miguel Olivo in which Olivo bit off a portion of Guerrero's ear.  He had to undergo a complicated plastic surgery operation to reattach the ear, necessitating several days in the hospital.
- Three Teams Vying For Cuban Shortstop Guerrero[dead link]
- "Cuba: Golden Anniversary League All-Star Team". Baseballdeworld.com. June 19, 2011. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "Cuba Announces Baseball Team to Holland". News.caribseek.com. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "Cuba announces 22-Man Roster for World Port Tournament". Mister-baseball.com. May 28, 2011. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- "Cuba Pre-Selection for the 2013 World Baseball Classic". Playersofelbeisbolcubano.wordpress.com. July 9, 2012. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- Martinez, Jose Luis. "Alexander Guerrero no jugará en la Serie Nacional". Desdemipalcodefanatico.wordpress.com. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- Pouliot, Matthew (January 21, 2013). "Reports: Shortstop Alexander Guerrero defects from Cuba". Hardballtalk.nbcsports.com. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- Adams, Steve. "Alexander Guerrero Cleared To Sign With MLB Teams". Mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved September 9, 2013.
- Calcaterra, Craig (September 16, 2013). "Cuban Infielder Alexander Guerrero hires Scott Boras". hardballtimes.
- Adams, Steve (October 21, 2013). "Dodgers To Sign Alexander Guerrero". mlbtraderumors.com.
- Sanchez, Jesse (October 22, 2013). "Dodgers finalize deal with Cuban infielder Guerrero". mlb.com.
- Hernandez, Dylan (October 29, 2013). "Dodgers' Dee Gordon to play center field in Dominican winter league". LA Times.
- Stephen, Eric (January 8, 2014). "Alexander Guerrero waiting on visa, still not cleared to play in U.S.". truebluela.com. Retrieved January 9, 2014.
- Stephen, Eric (March 21, 2014). "Dodgers Opening Day roster: Tim Federowicz optioned, Matt Kemp to DL". truebluela.com. Retrieved March 21, 2014.
- Stephen, Eric (March 22, 2014). "Scott Van Slyke, Clayton Kershaw lead Dodgers to Opening Day win". truebluela.com. Retrieved March 22, 2014.
- "Dodgers reinstate Carl Crawford; option Alex Guerrero to Triple-A Albuquerque".
- Moreno, Matthew (May 20, 2014). "Guerrero And Olivo Reportedly Involved In Altercation". dodgersnation.com. Retrieved May 21, 2014.
- Hernandez, Dylan (May 22, 2014). "Dodgers president: Miguel Olivo's ear biting is 'unforgivable'". latimes.com.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Cuban baseball stats