January 15, 1987 |
|Other names||The Mauler|
|Height||6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
|Division||Light Heavyweight (205 lb)|
|Reach||76.5 in (194 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Team||Allstars Training Center
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-JitsuPurple belt in|
|Years active||2007 - present|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Alexander L. Gustafsson (born January 15, 1987) is a Swedish mixed martial artist. He is currently signed with the UFC fighting in their light heavyweight division. As of February 2013, Gustafsson is ranked the #2 light heavyweight contender in the world by the UFC.
Mixed martial arts career 
Early career 
Gustafsson started training MMA in 2006, and before that he trained in boxing which he started when he was around 10 years old. Before signing with the UFC, Gustafsson fought mostly in smaller promotions in Sweden and other parts of Europe. By 2009, he had racked up a perfect pro-record of 8-0, with 6 wins coming by the way of KO/TKO.
Ultimate Fighting Championship 
His next fight was against Phil Davis on April 10, 2010 at UFC 112. Gustafsson lost the fight via submission due to an anaconda choke. Prior to this, Gustafsson showed good wrestling and takedown defense which Joe Rogan praised him for. After getting overconfident and going for a takedown himself, Gustafsson was sprawled by Davis and was forced to tap out at 4:55 of the first round.
Gustafsson faced MMA veteran Cyrille Diabaté at UFC 120. In advance of this bout, Gustafsson traveled to San Diego, USA to train with Alliance MMA for a month. At the training camp, Gustafsson trained with notable UFC fighters like his former opponent Phil Davis, Brandon Vera, Joey Beltran and Travis Browne. He also took grappling tips from Davis and worked to improve his strength and speed. After dominating the first round in stand up as well as on the ground, dropping Diabate twice, Gustafsson defeated Diabate via submission (rear-naked choke) in the second round.
Gustafsson was expected to face Vladimir Matyushenko on August 6, 2011 at UFC 133. But Matyushenko pulled out of the fight due to injury and was replaced by Matt Hamill. In the 2nd round, Gustafsson dropped Hamill with a straight punch followed by two uppercuts, finishing Hamill with punches and elbows from the mount. Hamill announced his retirement shortly after the fight.
Gustafsson was expected to face Antônio Rogério Nogueira on April 14, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV 2 in Stockholm, Sweden, but Nogueira pulled out of the fight due to an injury and was replaced by Thiago Silva. Gustafsson was able to effectively use his reach and jab to largely outstrike Silva, scoring points by knocking him down early in the first round as well as taking him down to the ground in the second. His dominant performance earned him the unanimous decision victory.
Gustafsson was expected to face Gegard Mousasi on April 6, 2013 at UFC on Fuel TV 9. However, on April 2 it was announced by the Swedish MMA Federation, that Gustafsson would not be cleared to participate at the event due to a cut suffered during a sparing session on March 30. Gustafsson was replaced by UFC newcomer Ilir Latifi, one of his main training partners.
Championships and accomplishments 
Submission Grappling 
Grapplers Paradise 4 –99 kg winner 
Amateur Boxing 
Swedish Super Heavyweight (+91 kg/200 lbs) Amateur Boxing Champion 
Mixed martial arts record 
|Professional record breakdown|
|16 matches||15 wins||1 loss|
|Win||15–1||Maurício Rua||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Henderson vs. Diaz||December 8, 2012||3||5:00||Seattle, Washington, United States|
|Win||14–1||Thiago Silva||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fuel TV: Gustafsson vs. Silva||April 14, 2012||3||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||13–1||Vladimir Matyushenko||TKO (punches)||UFC 141||December 30, 2011||1||2:13||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–1||Matt Hamill||TKO (punches and elbows)||UFC 133||August 6, 2011||2||3:34||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||11–1||James Te-Huna||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 127||February 27, 2011||1||4:27||Sydney, Australia|
|Win||10–1||Cyrille Diabaté||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 120||October 16, 2010||2||2:41||London, England|
|Loss||9–1||Phil Davis||Submission (anaconda choke)||UFC 112||April 10, 2010||1||4:55||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Win||9–0||Jared Hamman||KO (punches)||UFC 105||November 14, 2009||1||0:41||Manchester, England|
|Win||8–0||Vladimir Shemarov||KO (punches)||Superior Challenge 3||May 30, 2009||1||2:37||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||7–0||Pedro Quetglas||TKO (punches)||ZoneFC 3||November 8, 2008||1||2:08||Gothenburg, Sweden|
|Win||6–0||Krzysztof Kulak||Decision (unanimous)||KSW: Extra||September 13, 2008||2||5:00||Dąbrowa Górnicza, Poland|
|Win||5–0||Matteo Minonzio||TKO (punches)||ZoneFC 2||May 10, 2008||1||3:52||Gothenburg, Sweden|
|Win||4–0||Florian Muller||TKO (knee to the body and punches)||Fite Selektor||March 13, 2008||2||3:44||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|Win||3–0||Farbod Fadami||TKO (punches)||ZoneFC 1||February 9, 2008||1||2:31||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||2–0||Mikael Haydari||TKO (punches)||FinnFight 9||December 15, 2007||1||0:50||Turku, Finland|
|Win||1–0||Saku Heikola||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Shooto 3||November 17, 2007||2||3:42||Lahti, Finland|
- Mythbusting: Length and reach, espn.go.com, December 5, 2012.
- "Light Heavyweight MMA Top 10". ufc.com. February, 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-07.
- "Gustafsson vs. Hamman Likely For 105". MMA Unltd. Retrieved 2009-09-10.[dead link]
- Jesse Holland. "UFC 112: Phil Davis vs Alexander Gustafsson on tap for April 10". MMA Mania.
- "Cyrile Diabate vs Alexander Gustafsson added to UFC 120 in October". mmajunkie.com. 2010-07-12.
- "Alexander Gustafsson vs. James Te Huna slotted for UFC 127". mmajunkie.com. December 1, 2010.
- "Alexander Gustafsson vs. Vladimir Matyushenko in the works for UFC 133 in August". mmaJunkie.com. May 13, 2011.
- "Vladdy Matyushenko Injured; Matt Hamill Steps in to Face Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 133". MMAWeekly.com. July 14, 2011.
- "Vladimir Matyushenko vs Alexander Gustafsson re-booked for Dec. 30 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. September 21, 2011.
- "UFC on Fuel TV 2 adds Gustafsson vs Nogueira Pickett vs Page in Sweden". mmajunkie.com. January 10, 2012.
- "Silva replaces injured Nogueira, faces Gustafsson at UFC on FUEL TV 2". mmajunkie.com. March 6, 2011.
- "Report: Three Big fight Announcements For UFC On Fox 5: Ben Henderson Vs Nate Diaz, Rory MacDonald Vs B.J. Penn, And Mauricio Rua Vs Alexander Gustafsson". bloodyelbow.com. August 15, 2012.
- "Alexander Gustafsson vs. Gegard Mousasi slated for April in Sweden". MMAFighting.com. January 19, 2013.
- Staff (2013-04-02). "Swedish MMA Federation: Alexander Gustafsson not cleared for UFC on FUEL TV 9". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-02.
- Staff (2013-04-02). "Gustafsson teammate Ilir Latifi meets Mousasi in UFC on FUEL TV 9 main event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-04-02.
- "Grapplers Paradise 4 -99kg Final Alexander Gustavsson Stockholm Shoot vs Mikael Persson". youtube.com. September 21, 2008.
- "The Mauler won again". fightermag.se. February 28, 2009.