Alexander Koch (actor)
February 24, 1988 |
Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, U.S.
Alexander Koch (born February 24, 1988) is an American actor. He plays the series regular role of Junior Rennie on the CBS series Under the Dome based on the novel by Stephen King. He currently resides in Los Angeles.
Life and career
Koch was born in Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, to Joseph and Joya Koch. Koch has two older sisters, Ashleigh and Michelle. His father is late Wayne County assistant prosecutor Joseph Koch, a talented attorney who took on some of Detroit's most notorious criminals in court. "It was kind of my first introduction into acting, because I would go to the courtroom with him and watch him work," recalls Koch of his dad, who died in 2001. "When he was presenting cases and what-not, it was almost as if he was doing monologues".
He attended the Theatre School at DePaul University and immersed himself in productions such as "A Lie of the Mind," "Hair," "Intimate Apparel," "Normal," "Assassins" and "Reefer Madness: The Musical". In 2012 he received his BFA in acting. Koch made his film debut as "Frank" in Eddie O'Keefe's independent short film "The Ghosts". Koch works with music and images when acting. "When I'm working, I like to work with a lot of music. The more I can think of what a character would listen to, the more I feel like I have a place to create from". [Alexander agrees that he's using songs to give him insights into his character and not just to get him into an emotional space]. "I have a record player at home that I usually listen to, but since I've been in Wilmington [North Carolina, where the series is filming], I couldn't bring it with me. When I'm on set, I'm listening through headphones on my computer, just trying to zone in and focus. Britt [Robertson] always makes fun of me about how I'm always in my chair listening to music". He also works with images. "When I'm working, I find images and kind of attach to them. It just makes the dialogue so much stronger if you have a distinct image in your mind".
In his off time, Koch enjoys writing, music, playing the guitar and collecting vinyl records.
|2012||Underemployed||Episode: "The Trivial Pursuit"|
|2013–present||Under the Dome||James "Junior" Rennie||Main role|
- Under The Dome Cast: Alexander Koch
- Community Contributer. "The Moment Has Come To Be Obsessed With Alexander Koch". Buzzfeed.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "5 Questions with 'Under The Dome's' Alexander Koch". ETonline.com. 2013-04-29. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Mark Blankenship (2013-07-05). "Screen Habits: 'Under the Dome' Actor Alexander Koch | Tribeca". Tribecafilm.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Alexander Koch Talks UNDER THE DOME, Being a Stephen King Fan, and More". Collider. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Grosse Pointe Park native Alexander Koch adds tense menace to 'Under the Dome' | Detroit Free Press". freep.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Andreeva, Nellie. "Natalie Martinez & Alex Koch Cast In CBS' 'Under The Dome' Series". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "DePaul grad goes to ‘Dome' - Chicago Sun-Times". Suntimes.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Meet metro Detroit native who plays scary Junior on 'Under the Dome' | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
- South graduate to make debut on silver screen
- Screen Habits: 'Under the Dome' Actor Alexander Koch | Tribeca