Frunze, Kirghiz SSR
|Occupation||Major shareholder in Eurasian Natural Resources Corporation|
Alexander Mashkevich (Hebrew: אלכסנדר משקביץ; also transliterated Alexandr Mashkevic; Russian: Александр Машкевич), born in 1954, is a businessman and investor. He has major holdings and close political relationships in Kazakhstan. He holds both Kazakh and Israeli citizenship; according to the Jewish Telegraphic Agency, he usually travels on his Israeli passport and "rarely spends more than a week each month in Kazakhstan."
Mashkevich was born in Frunze, Kyrgyz SSR, Soviet Union, in 1954 to Rakhel Yoffe (born in Belarus) and Anton (born in Lithuania). He is a graduate of Kyrgyz State University where he studied philology. Mashkevich started out an academic career but became a businessman during perestroika. Mashkevich, Patokh Chodiev, and Alijan Ibragimov form "the Trio," a group of Kazakh businessmen who became billionaires. The Trio gained control of the recently privatized chromium, alumina, and gas operations in Kazakhstan (some of the largest ones in the world).
With his partners Chodiev and Ibragimov, Mashkevich helped to develop these assets, and is a major shareholder in Eurasian National Resources Corporation (ENRC), now one of the world's leading natural resources groups. ENRC, based in London, operates a number of metals assets in Kazakhstan and Africa, having acquired numerous mining operations in Eastern Europe and Africa. In 2009, ENRC generated a $1,462 million profit on sales of $3.8 billion.
ENRC was floated on the London Stock Exchange in December 2007, with a market capitalisation on Admission of approximately £6.8 billion.
Mashkevich served as president of the Euro-Asian Jewish Congress (EAJC) until 2011. The EAJC is one of the five regional branches of World Jewish Congress (WJC). In this capacity, he has visited a number of synagogues around the world and met with many prominent individuals. In 2002, Mashkevich had a private meeting with then-Foreign Minister Shimon Peres. In apparent consultation with Israeli Defense Minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer, he asked his personal friend Kazakh President Nursultan Nazarbayev to intervene with Iran concerning Israeli soldiers captured by Hizbullah. Also, while in Israel, Mashkevich "several times rather closely cooperated" with Kazakh Ambassador, now Deputy Foreign Minister, Kairat Abdurakhmanov.
Mashkevich is one of the owners of Alferon Management. Based in London, Alferon Management has acquired mining operations in different places: Zambia, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Indonesia, Kosovo, Russia, and other countries.
As of 2010 he is on the Forbes list of billionaires at #287.
On April 6, 2011, Mashkevitch announced his intention to found a Jewish version of Al-Jazeera that will "represent Israel on an international level, with real information." 
- Krichevsky, Lev (18 October 2004). "Wealthy Kazakh businessman looks to make mark on Jewish world" (HTML). www.ncsj.org. Jewish Telegraphic Agency. Retrieved 2007-02-17.
- "The Steel Maharajah" (HTML). BBC (BBC News). 24 July 2002. Retrieved 2009-08-25.
- Kazhegeldin, Akezhan (December 24, 2004). "The end of the "controlled" democracy" (HTML). "Respublika". International Eurasian Institute for Economic and Political Research. Archived from the original on 6 May 2006. Retrieved 2006-05-04.
- Galili, Lily (29 October 2002). "A Kazakh Oligarch Trying To Be a Jewish Tycoon" (HTML). www.ncsj.org. Ha'aretz. Retrieved 2007-02-17.
- Rozen, Sami (March 9, 2006). "Kazakh Historian Turned Deputy Minister After Stay in Israel" (HTML). www.axisglobe.com. Axis. Archived from the original on 3 March 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alexander Mashkevitch.|