|Dates of operation||1946–Present|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
|Length||18 miles (29 kilometres)|
|Headquarters||Taylorsville, North Carolina|
The Alexander Railroad Company (reporting mark ARC) is a Class III shortline railroad operating in North Carolina. The railroad has 18 miles (29 kilometres) of track that runs northwest from Statesville to Taylorsville, North Carolina.
The Alexander Railroad began operations in 1946. The line was marked for abandonment by the Southern Railway, so local investors and businessmen stepped in, purchasing the 18-mile branch line from Statesville to Taylorsville. The railroad is named after Alexander County, North Carolina, although it serves both Alexander & Iredell Counties.
The railroad was originally chartered and built in 1887 as the Statesville & Western, a subsidiary of Atlantic, Tennessee & Ohio which ran between Charlotte and Statesville North Carolina. The AT&O was purchased by the Richmond & Danville, and eventually came under the Southern Railway.
The Alexander Railroad serves 20 customers, handling approximately 2,500 carloads (200,000 tons) per year. Principal commodities carried by the railroad are grain, pulpboard, plastics, lumber products,and scrap paper. The ARC has one connection with Norfolk Southern at Statesville, NC, which sees daily interchange.
The Alexander Railroad currently has four operating diesel-electric locomotives. The roster includes: #3 - GE 44 tonner, #6 and #7 - ALCO S-3's, and #8 - EMD SW9. As of late 2008, the Alexander Railroad also added two EMD SW1500's, #9 and #10 to their lineup. ARC #11, also an SW1500, was photographed working in Taylorsville in March 2013.
- Alexander Railroad, Railway Association of North Carolina (retrieved 18 June, 2014)
- Railroads Scanner Frequencies, RadioReference.com (retrieved 18 June, 2014)
- ULS License, Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - KCP872 - ALEXANDER RAILROAD COMPANY, Federal Communications Commission (retrieved 12 August, 2014)
- "Alexander Railroad History". Alexander Railroad. 2009. Retrieved August 21, 2009.
- Walker, Mike (2004). SPV's Comprehensive Railroad Atlas of North America: Appalachia and Piedmont. Canterbury, Kent, United Kingdom: SPV Publishing. ISBN 1-874745-07-2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alexander Railroad.|
- Official website
- Railway Association of North Carolina - Alexander Railroad Co.
- American Short Line & Regional Railroad Association: ARC