Alexander S. Bermange
Alexander S. Bermange (born 1976, London, England) is an English musical theatre composer and lyricist. He has often served as musical director for his own productions. He is also a regular broadcaster on UK radio.
Bermange grew up in Radlett, Hertfordshire, and attended the Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School in Elstree. He wrote and staged his first musical, Nessie, while he was still at school. He studied Modern Languages at St Edmund Hall, Oxford. While at Oxford he staged Nessie at the Burton Taylor Theatre in 1996.
He has written numerous musicals since leaving university, one of which, Shadowless, won two Frank Wildhorn Awards (the Audience Award and the Second Jury Award) at the Musical Festival Graz in Austria in 2007.
Alexander has written and performed many comic songs for Broadcasting House on BBC Radio 4, and Weekend and The World Today on the BBC World Service. His solo cabaret The Wit & Whimsy Of Alexander S. Bermange (St James Theatre, London) celebrates this style of his writing.
As a broadcaster, Alexander can regularly be heard on BBC London 94.9 as a contributor on JoAnne Good’s Sunday Night Sessions; he has presented his own series of interview-based programmes on JNET Radio; and he hosts weekly music and talk shows on Radio Verulam.
- The Route To Happiness (music and lyrics) - Landor Theatre, London (2013)
- Snow White (music) - Amphitheater Park Schloss Philippsruhe, Hanau, Germany (2010)
- Thirteen Days (music and lyrics) - Kiveton Park, Sheffield (2010) and Arcola Theatre, London (2012)
- Sleeping Beauty (music) - Amphitheater Park Schloss Philippsruhe, Hanau, Germany (2009)
- Dead Heat (music and lyrics) - Bradford Playhouse, Bradford (2008)
- King Drosselbart (music) - Amphitheater Park Schloss Philippsruhe, Hanau, Germany (2008)
- Odette (music and lyrics) - Bridewell Theatre, London (2007)
- The Seven Ravens (music) - Amphitheater Park Schloss Philippsruhe, Hanau, Germany (2007)
- The Golden Goose (music) - Amphitheater Park Schloss Philippsruhe, Hanau, Germany (2006)
- Aladdin (music and lyrics) - Pleasance Theatre, London (2005/2006)
- The Frog Prince (music) - Amphitheater Park Schloss Philippsruhe, Hanau, Germany (2005)
- Close Encounters (music and lyrics) - Century City Playhouse, Los Angeles (2005)
- Beauty and the Beast: The Singing Springing Lark (music) - Amphitheater Park Schloss Philippsruhe, Hanau, Germany (2004)
- Walking On The Sun (music and lyrics) - The O2, London and the specially constructed Theatre In The Park, Rotherham (2000); two revivals in Rotherham (2003 and 2008)
- Shadowless (book, music and lyrics) - Bridewell Theatre, London (2003)
- Nessie (book, music and lyrics) - Musical Kongress, Hamburg (2002), and Burton Taylor Theatre, Oxford (1996)
Nineteen of his comic songs were released on a CD entitled Weird & Wonderful - A Collection Of Songs Celebrating Weirdos & Weirdness.
Act One - Songs From The Musicals Of Alexander S. Bermange, an album of 20 recordings by 26 West End stars, was released in November 2008 on Dress Circle Records.
- "Schneewittchen (Musical)". Stadt Hanau.
- Alexander S. Bermange's official website
- Alexander S. Bermange on Facebook
- Brueder Grimm Maerchenfestspiele
- Review of Odette in The Stage
- Review of Plague Over England in Variety
- Interview with Alexander S. Bermange on Plays to See
- Article about Alexander S. Bermange on Whats on Stage
- Alexander S. Bermange page on Radio Verulam