Alexander Wyclif Reed
|A. W. Reed|
|Born||Alexander Wyclif Reed
7 March 1908
|Died||19 October 1979
Wellington, New Zealand
|Other names||Clif Reed|
|Occupation||Publisher and author|
|Known for||Māori and Aboriginal cultures|
Alexander Wyclif Reed, also known as Clif Reed and A. W. Reed, (7 March 1908 - 19 October 1979) was a New Zealand prolific publisher and author.
With his uncle Alfred he established the publishing firm A. H. & A. W. Reed. As an author he was known most commonly as A. W. Reed. Reed wrote many books on topics such as myths, language and place names of both Māori and Australian Aboriginal cultures.
Selected published works
- Reed, A. W. (1966), Books are my business : the life of a publisher, Educational Explorers, retrieved 13 April 2013
- Reed, A. W. (1967), Aboriginal place names and their meanings, A.H. & A.W. Reed, ISBN 978-0-589-07002-1
- Reed, A. W. (1973), Place names of Australia, Reed, ISBN 978-0-589-07115-8
- Reed, A. W. (1993), Aboriginal myths, legends and fables, Reed Books, ISBN 978-0-7301-0424-7
In New Zealand
- Reed, A. W. (1951), Reeds' Bible story atlas, A.H. & A.W. Reed, retrieved 13 April 2013
- Reed, A. W.; Brougham, Aileen E (1978), The concise Maori handbook, A. H. & A. W. Reed, ISBN 978-0-589-01111-6
- Reed, A. W. (1975), Place names of New Zealand, A.H. & A.W. Reed, ISBN 0-589-00933-8
- Reed, A. W. (1996), The Reed dictionary of Māori place names = Te pakakupu ingoa wāhi Māori a Reed (3rd ed.), Reed, ISBN 978-0-7900-0494-5
- Brougham, Aileen E; Reed, A. W. (1999), The Reed book of Māori proverbs = Te kohikohinga whakataukī a Reed (3rd rev. ed.), Reed Books, ISBN 978-0-7900-0638-3
- Reed, A. W.; Calman, Ross (2004), Reed book of Māori mythology (New & fully rev. ed.), Reed Books, ISBN 978-0-7900-0950-6
- Caffin, Elizabeth (30 October 2012). "Reed, Alexander Wyclif". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Ministry for Culture and Heritage.