Alexandra 'Xie' Rhoda Kitchin (29 September 1864 – 6 April 1925) was a notable 'child-friend' and favourite photographic subject of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll).
She was the daughter of Rev. George William Kitchin (1827–1912), who was Dodgson's colleague at Christ Church, Oxford, and later became Dean of Winchester and Dean of Durham. Her godmother was Princess Alexandra of Denmark, who had been a childhood friend of her mother. Xie had three younger brothers: George Herbert, Hugh Bridges, and Brook Taylor, and a younger sister, Dorothy Maud Mary. All were featured in Dodgson's photographs.
Dodgson photographed her around fifty times, from age four until just before her sixteenth birthday. The works they made together, often in tableau form, are commonly known to collectors, curators, and the contemporary artists who are inspired by them as the 'Xie' (pronounced 'Ecksy' — a diminutive form of Alexandra) pictures.
She married Arthur Cardew, a civil servant and gifted amateur musician, on 17 April 1890. They had six children: Penelope (b. 1891), Christopher (b. 1894), Richard (1898–1918), Michael (1901–1983), Philip (b. 1903) and Arthur (b. 1906). The family resided at 4 North View, Wimbledon Common, London, until Xie's death; they also had a country home at Saunton. She is buried at Putney Vale Cemetery.
In popular culture
- Subject of the play Xie by Justin Sherin.
Xie Kitchin in Tea merchant (off duty) by Lewis Carroll on 14 July 1873.
- Collingwood, Stuart Dodgson (1898). The Life and Letters of Lewis Carroll. T. Fisher Unwin. p. 367.
- Gernsheim, Helmut (1969). Lewis Carroll, photographer. Dover Publications. p. 56.
- Foulkes, Richard (2005). Lewis Carroll and the Victorian stage: theatricals in a quiet life. Nineteenth century. Ashgate Publishing. p. 134. ISBN 0-7546-0466-7.
- Carpenter, Angelica Shirley (2003). Lewis Carroll: through the looking glass. Twenty-First Century Books. p. 84. ISBN 0-8225-0073-6.
- Clark, Garth (1976). Michael Cardew: a portrait. Kodansha International. pp. 11–12. ISBN 0-87011-277-5.
- Tilbury, John (2008). Cornelius Cardew (1936-1981): a life unfinished. Copula. pp. 4–5.
- Sotheby's (London) Auction — Lewis Carroll photograph of Xie Kitchin, 1870, up for auction November 12, 2007.
- Christopher Cardew; Richard Cardew; Michael Cardew; Philip Cardew 1906 photograph at the National Portrait Gallery
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alexandra Kitchin.|