October 5, 1970 |
San Francisco, California, U.S.
|Education||Loyola Marymount University, University of Southern California|
|Occupation||Director, cinematographer, producer, writer, political activist|
|Spouse(s)||Michiel Vos (m. 2005)
|Relatives||Paul Pelosi, Jr.
Alexandra C. Pelosi (born October 5, 1970) is an American journalist, documentary filmmaker, and writer based in New York City. She is the daughter of Minority Leader of the United States House of Representatives Nancy Pelosi and Paul Pelosi.
In 2000, Pelosi worked as a network television producer for NBC covering George W. Bush's presidential campaign. She brought along a handheld camcorder documenting 18 months of her experience on the campaign trail; the footage was used to create Journeys with George, a documentary that earned her six Emmy nominations.
After spending a decade at NBC News, she left network news to work exclusively for HBO. During the 2004 Democratic primaries, she returned to the campaign trail, this time following the Democratic candidates. Her HBO documentary, Diary of a Political Tourist, was accompanied by her book Sneaking into the Flying Circus: How the Media Turn Our Presidential Campaigns into Freak Shows, about the process of selecting candidates for President of the United States. She stated that her conversations with Candy Crowley of CNN, Howard Dean, and Wesley Clark inspired her to write a book.
In 2006, she created the documentary about evangelical Christians called Friends of God: A Road Trip with Alexandra Pelosi which featured former pastor Ted Haggard. After it aired on HBO in 2007, she made a follow-up film, The Trials of Ted Haggard, chronicling the exile of Ted Haggard from New Life Church after his sex and drug scandal.
In 2008, Pelosi went back on the campaign trail to document the birth of the Tea Party movement at Republican campaign events for her film, Right America: Feeling Wronged - Some Voices from the Campaign Trail, which premiered on HBO on President's Day 2009.
CNN reported in July 2010 that Pelosi was no longer making political documentaries. Her 2010 HBO film, Homeless: The Motel Kids of Orange County follows the children of the working poor in Orange County, California.
In 2011, HBO debuted Pelosi's next film Citizen U.S.A.: A 50 State Road Trip. Pelosi traveled to all 50 states to attend naturalization ceremonies and interviewed immigrants as they became legalized American citizens. In 2013, she was at the Sundance Film Festival with her latest film, Fall To Grace, about disgraced former Gov. Jim McGreevey.
Pelosi regularly appears as a correspondent on HBO's Real Time with Bill Maher.
Pelosi was born and grew up in San Francisco, California, earned a B.A from Loyola Marymount University and graduated from University of Southern California's Annenberg School for Communication in 1993. She is the youngest of five children.
On June 18, 2005, she married Dutch journalist, lawyer, and United States correspondent Michiel Vos (born on December 19, 1970 in Groningen, the Netherlands). Pelosi gave birth to their first child, a boy, on November 14, 2006, in New York. Pelosi had a second son on December 7, 2007, also in New York. They live in Manhattan.
Filmography (as director)
- Fall to Grace (2013)
- Citizen USA: A 50 State Road Trip (2011)
- Homeless: The Motel Kids of Orange County (2010)
- Right America: Feeling Wronged – Some Voices from the Campaign Trail (2009)
- The Trials of Ted Haggard (2009)
- Friends of God: A Road Trip with Alexandra Pelosi (2007)
- Diary of a Political Tourist (2004)
- Journeys with George (2002)
- California Birth Index
- Strauss, Gary (February 15, 2009). "'Alexandra Pelosi takes a hard 'Right' turn in documentary':". USA Today.
- Leahy, Michael (February 16, 2009). "'Right America': Filmmaker Uses A Distorting Lens". The Washington Post. p. C01.
- Sellers, Pamela (July 24, 2010), "Alexandra Pelosi discusses film on homeless in the OC", CNN, retrieved July 25, 2010.
- Nancy Pelosi a Grandma for the Sixth Time – Birth, Nancy Pelosi : People.com
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Alexandra Pelosi|
- Official website
- Alexandra Pelosi at the Internet Movie Database
- Alexandra Pelosi at AllMovie
- Alexandra Pelosi: Media Star and Media Critic in Recount
- The Sex Lives of Evangelicals
- Alexandra Pelosi Charlie Rose, Oct 31. 2002
- Homeless: The Motel Kids of Orange County (HBO)
- Right America: Feeling Wronged – Some Voices from the Campaign Trail (HBO)
- The Trials of Ted Haggard (HBO)