||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
May 9, 1936 |
Moscow, Soviet Union
|Alma mater||Moscow State University|
|Doctoral advisor||Israel Gelfand|
|Doctoral students||Alexei Borodin
|Known for||Kirillov character formula
Kirillov orbit theory
Alexandre Aleksandrovich Kirillov (Russian: Алекса́ндр Алекса́ндрович Кири́ллов, born 1936) is a Soviet and Russian mathematician, renowned for his works in the fields of representation theory, topological groups and Lie groups. In particular he introduced the orbit method into representation theory.
Kirillov studied at Moscow State University where he was a student of Israel Gelfand. His Ph.D. (kandidat) dissertation Unitary representations of nilpotent Lie groups 1962 was so successful that he was awarded the much higher degree of Doctor of Science instead. At the time he was the youngest Doctor of Science in the Soviet Union. He worked at the Moscow State University until 1994 when he became the Francis J. Carey Professor of Mathematics at the University of Pennsylvania.
During his school years, Kirillov was a winner of many mathematics competitions, and he is still an active organizer of Russian mathematical contests. Kirillov is an author of many popular school-oriented books and articles.
- Kirillov, A. A. (1976) , Elements of the theory of representations, Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften 220, Berlin, New York: Springer-Verlag, ISBN 978-0-387-07476-4, MR 0412321
- ——— (1997). "Lectures on affine Hecke algebras and Macdonald's conjectures". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 34 (3): 251–292. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-97-00727-1. MR 1441642.
- ——— (1999). "Merits and demerits of the orbit method". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 36 (4): 433–483. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-99-00849-6. MR 1701415.
- ——— (2004), Lectures on the orbit method, Graduate Studies in Mathematics 64, Providence, RI: American Mathematical Society, ISBN 0-8218-3530-0.
- Marathe, Kishore (2010-08-18). Topics in Physical Mathematics. Springer. pp. 420–. ISBN 9781848829381. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- Huang, Jing-Song (1999). Lectures on Representation Theory. World Scientific. pp. 163–. ISBN 9789810237257. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-01-27.
- Vogan Jr, David A. (2005). "Review: Lectures on the orbit method, by A. A. Kirillov". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 42 (4): 535–544. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-05-01065-7.
- Home page of Alexandre Kirillov
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Alexandre Kirillov", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Alexandre Kirillov at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
|This article about a Russian mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|