26 September 1965 |
|Alma mater||Leningrad Institute of Ec
University of Northumbria
|Net worth||$12.8 billion (2013)|
Alexey Mordashov (born 26 September 1965) in Cherepovets, Vologda Oblast. He is a Russian business oligarch and billionaire. He is the main shareholder and the CEO of Severstal, a large Russian conglomerate with interests in metal, energy and mining companies. As of July 2013 he has an estimated worth of $18.5 billion.
Mordashov is the son of parents who were both mill workers. He graduated from the Leningrad Engineering-Economical Institute, currently known as ENGECON. He later gained an MBA from Northumbria University in Newcastle upon Tyne, Great Britain in 2001.
==Career== In 1988 he joined Cherepovetskiy Metallurgical Plant after graduation from Leningrad Engineering-Economical Institut as an economist. By 1992 he became finance director, shortly before the company was privatised. When the plant's elderly director instructed him to acquire shares to keep them out of the hands of an outsider, he formed two investment funds and, by buying up workers' shares, built a major stake in the factory. He became general director of the company in 1996. He went on to build a conglomerate, Severstal, acquiring steel, coal and mining companies.
Through Severstal: Sponsor of the Bolshoi Theatre; sponsor of the Mariinsky Theatre; sponsor of the Tretyakov Gallery; sponsor of the Russian Museum; sponsor of the Museum of Frescoes by Dionisius; sponsor of the Sergei Andriaka Watercolour School; sponsor of the Moscow International Film Festival; sponsor of the Road Back Home charity for homeless children; sponsor of the "Severstal Cherepovets" super-league ice-hockey team; sponsor of the Dynamo (Moscow) Women’s Volleyball Club; sponsor of the Russian national male chess team; sponsor of over 20 Russian sports facilities including sports stadiums, ice rings, heated football fields and athletic centres.
Mr Mordashov was elected as Chairman of the World Steel Association on 10 October 2012.
- Alexey Mordashov Forbes Profile
- Russian Capitalist Wiki contributors (01-15-2014). "Alexey Mordashov". Russian Capitalist Wiki. (Retrieved 02-13-2014).
- HIS Company Sevestral Planned a multi billion dollar project in joint venture with POSCO in Eastern India. After 10 years of not geting environmental and land clearances, his company opted out in 2008
- Walsh, Conal (18 June 2006). "Steely ambition of worker who bought the company". The Observer. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- "List of participants of Bilderberg Club meeting in 2011". Retrieved 24 March 2012.