|Born||November 17, 1986
Alexis Vastine (born November 17, 1986) is a French boxer who won a bronze medal at the 2008 Summer Olympics at Light Welterweight. He also competed in the 2012 Summer Olympics, where he was eliminated in the quarterfinals in a controversial decision.
At the junior world championships he was knocked out by Amir Khan at lightweight and won bronze.
At the senior world championships in Chicago he was outpointed by Bradley Saunders at junior welter but qualified for the Olympics.
At the 2008 Olympics, Vastine reached the semi final where he faced Manuel Félix Díaz from the Dominican Republic. With Vastine leading by two in the final round, the Dominican fighter made a come back and won the fight. Vastine lost the match by two points after being penalised twice by the referee, having four points deducted from his score. France 24 reported:
- Vastine was robbed of his place in the final as he went down 12-10 due to a pair of two-point penalties. Vastine, who stood a full seven inches over his opponent, was largely in control throughout but was harshly penalised for pushing his opponent down, not just once but twice. Diaz was also fortunate to score on a number of wild haymakers that didn't look to have connected cleanly.
Vastine went on to suffer what was widely seen as an unjust decision at the 2012 Olympics in London, where he drew on points but lost on countback to top-seeded welterweight Taras Shelestyuk of Ukraine in the quarter-finals, thus missing out on a medal.
Olympic games results
2008 (as a Light welterweight)
- Defeated Egidijus Kavaliauskas (Lithuania) 13-2
- Defeated Bradley Saunders (Great Britain) 11-7
- Defeated Uranchimegiin Mönkh-Erdene (Mongolia) 12-4
- Lost to Manuel Félix Díaz (Dominican Republic) 10-12
World amateur championships results
2007 (as a Light welterweight)
- Defeated Dilshod Mahmudov (Uzbekistan) 28-27
- Defeated Edward Akora (Uganda) RSCO 3
- Defeated Vasili Belous (Moldava) 27-10
- Lost to Bradley Saunders (England) 13-30
- "Only bronze medal for French Alexis Vastine", France 24, August 22, 2008
- "Judging scandal rocks Olympic boxing competition", AFP, August 23, 2008
- "French cry foul over Vastine controversy", AFP, August 22, 2008
- "Felic Diaz wins first Olympic boxing gold for Dominican Republic", AFP, August 24, 2008
- French boxer Vastine rages after defeat BBC News 8 August 2012