Algeria recognized Ukraine’s independence in 1992. Diplomatic relations between both countries were established in 1993. Soon (1993–1994), military and trade agreements between two countries were signed.
The USSR being one of the major supporters of independent Algeria, the economic connections between the Soviet Ukraine and Algeria were fairly significant, since a large portion of Soviet industries (in particular, of the aerospace industry), as well as the major port of Odessa were located in that republic. After Ukraine declared its independence, economic connections between the two countries continued, Algeria and Egypt remaining, as of the early 2000s, the two most important trade partners of Ukraine in the region of Africa and the Middle East.
Political contacts between the two countries lagged the development of economic contacts; it was not until 2002 that the Ukrainian Foreign Minister Anatoliy Zlenko visited Algeria the first. As Ukrainian analysts noted at the time, one of Ukraine's priorities in the development of its relations with the North African countries at the time was extending the spectrum of economic relations: moving from exporting metals, chemicals, and foodstuffs to selling civilian and military aircraft and other high-tech products. A Ukrainian products' exhibition, Algeria-Ukraine 2002 took place in Algeria the same year, and a tax treaty was signed.
The overall volume of trade between the two countries reached US$355 million in 2003. That included at least some amount of weapons trade. For example, it was reported that in 2003 Ukraine sold to Algeria 5 MiG-29 fighters and 16 Mi-24 helicopters, buying back some old MiG-21s.
A bilateral agreement on cooperation in the peaceful use of outer space was reached in 2007.
In 2008, capitalizing on the large "installed base" of Soviet-made (that is, often, produced in Ukraine) equipment used by the Algerian military, Ukraine reached an agreement with Algeria concerning provision of maintenance, repair, and upgrade services. The agreement, which also provided for exchanging military attachés, was signed by the two countries defense ministers during the visit of the Ukrainian Defense Minister Yuriy Yekhanurov to Algeria. According to the news reports, Algerian top officers visiting Ukraine were reported as particularly interested in visiting Ukrainian aerospace companies (such as Antonov and Luch), and the armored vehicles repair plant in Kiev.
Ukraine's trade with Algeria in 2009 was worth $300 million, but in recent years trade between Ukraine and Algeria has fallen.
See also 
- Ukrain-Algeria relations(At the site of the Ukrainian embassy in Israel; also at the Ukrainian Mission at the EU
- КИЕВ НАВОДИТ ПОЛИТИЧЕСКИЕ МОСТЫ С ЕГИПТОМ И АЛЖИРОМ (Kiev builds political bridges to Egypt and Algeria) (Zerkalo nedeli', No. 49 (424), 21 — 27 Dec 2002. (Russian)
- Convention between Algeria and Ukraine for the avoidance of double taxation dated 14 December 2002 (PriceWaterhouse Cooper Ukraine)
- Виктор Мясников (Victor Myasnikov), Личный оружейный бизнес президента: Украина долгие годы остается поставщиком дешевого оружия в горячие точки (President's very own arms trade business: Ukraine has long been a supplier of inexpensive weapons to the worlds "hot spots"). 2008-10-10 (Russian)
- Украина и Алжир подписали соглашение о сотрудничестве в мирном использования космоса (Ukraine and Algeria signed an agreement on the peaceful use of outer space) 13-Dec-07
- Украина и Алжир будут сотрудничать в военно-технической сфере (Ukraine and Algeria will cooperate in the area of military technologies), RIA Novosti, 08/Apr/ 2008 (Russian)
- Ukraine, Algeria sign Intergovernmental Agreement on military technical cooperation Ukrinform, 08.04.2008
- Ukraine, Algeria military to discuss cooperation in Kyiv (Ukrinform, 25.12.2007)
- Ukraine, Algeria to sign number of agreements on cooperation in various fields, Interfax-Ukraine (October 1, 2009)
- Algerian Ministry of Foreign Ministry about relations with Ukraine (in French only)
- Ukrainian embassy in Algiers (in French and Ukrainian only)