||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011)|
|Birth name||Ali Azmat|
|Genres||Rock, Sufi Rock|
|Labels||Fire Records (Pakistan)
|Members||Omran shafiq, Mannu,Waqar/ Fahad Khan.|
Ali Azmat (Urdu: علی عظمت) (born April 20, 1970) is a Pakistani singer-song writer, musician and actor. He is best known as the lead singer for the influential Sufi rock band Junoon and for his subsequent solo career. In 2001, he become the first musician ever to perform at the United Nations General Assembly along with an Indian band choosing to sing his song "Dosti" (English: "Friendship"), an aptly chosen title to promote the UN's mission in bringing peace to the world.
Azmat was born in Abbottabad and grew up in Garhi Shahu, Lahore. He went to Sydney, Australia, for his higher studies, but soon returned to Pakistan before completing university. His first band ‘Jupiters’ was known for performing covers at small gigs in Lahore. While with them, Azmat wrote his legendary hit song Dosti. He later sang and recorded Dosti with Junoon, after which the song gained national fame.
In 2013, he sung 2 songs for Jism 2.
- 'Garaj Baras' (film Paap)
- Social Circus (2005)
- Klashinfolk (album) (2008)
- Josh-E-Junoon (2010)
- Bum Phatta (2011)
- Chalta Mein Jaaon (2011)
- Jism 2 (2012)
- Josh (2012)
- Babu Bhai (2014) (coke studio)
- Sawal (2014) (coke studio)
Awards and nominations
Junoon won the "Best International Group" award at the Channel V Awards in New Delhi in 1998, beating Prodigy, Sting and Def Leppard. The Band's first international release Azadi, went triple platinum in India alone. "Sayonee" was at the top of the Mtv India and Channel V charts for over two months. Junoon won the Award for "Best Rock Band" at the Indus Music awards in 2004. Indus Music Awards and from ARY Asian/Bollywood Awards. Junoon has also been awarded several awards for their contribution towards peace and South East culture by BBC, UNESCO and South Asian Journalists Association. Junoon was nominated for Best Musical Group at the Lux Style Awards several years in a row. First Indus Style Awards (2006)'
- Won - Best Sound of Style Award.
- Won - Best Pop Male Artist.
The Nestle Fruita Vitals Pakistan Style Awards (2010) Won - Stylish Singer Male.
- For Ali Azmat, the show goes on despite father’s death
- Banned in Pakistan, Junoon's Ali Azmat scores big with his Jism 2 songs
- "Ali Azmat Awards". Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- "When the stars start to shine". Saadia Qamar. Express Tribune. Archived from the original on 26 October 2010. Retrieved 5 November 2010.
- Ali Azmat
- Ali Azmat on Twitter
- Ali Azmat at the Internet Movie Database
- 2007 Interview with Azmat on Washington Post