Ali Esbati (Persian: علی اثباتی; born 12 September 1976) is a Swedish politician (of the Left Party) and economist, and was the chairman of Young Left 2001–2004. As of today he is a handling officer of labour market policies at the Left Party's office of the Riksdag and the chairman of the Left Party's program commission. He became famous for his blogging; his blog Esbatis kommentarer was at one time one of the most popular Swedish political blogs. Esbati currently lives in Norway. After resigning from his position as debate and opinion editor in Norwegian daily left-leaning newspaper Klassekampen,  he started at the Norwegian think tank Manifest senter for samfunnsanalyse, where he now is the managing director. He is also a common contributor to several Swedish and Norwegian magazines. Esbati has also been published in a number of books.
Esbati was born in Teheran, Iran and came to Sweden in 1985 with his mother and one younger brother (his father arrived six months later). He grew up in the suburb Tensta, north of Stockholm, and joined Young Left in 1990. After primary school, he attended high school in Tensta and another one, specialized in mathematics, in Danderyd. After graduation he began studying at the Stockholm School of Economics. In 1999-2000 he completed his military service at Televapenkompaniet in Uppland, where he also was trained in Russian. He is a self-proclaimed atheist.
Esbati was invited to host a lecture at the summer camp of the Norwegian Workers' Youth League on Utøya outside Oslo 22 July 2011. There he became a witness of the shooting of 69 people by the lone gunman Anders Behring Breivik, most of them young members of the League. Esbati told afterwards that he saw how several people were killed, but managed to survive the tragedy by hiding in the surrounding woods and water.
- Rasismer i Europa (2004). Edited by: Étienne Balibar. Published by Agora. Note that this is an anthology and that Esbati contributed one article.
- Agenda : julafton för allt reaktionärt : bloggtexter 2005-2006 (2006). Edited by: Ali Esbati and Jesper Weithz. Published by Karneval förlag. This publication is a collection of articles from Esbati's blog.
- Kuba på riktigt (2007). Edited by: Ali Esbati and Daniel Suhonen. Published by Murbruk förlag. Note that this is an anthology and that is as such contains articles by several authors.
- Twingly Report Sweden Nr. 2 2007
- (Swedish) Catarina Håkansson, "Svenske Ali: Det var overkligt på Utøya", Svenska Dagbladet, 23 july 2011. Verified 23 july 2011.
- Line Brustad et al: Det må være bittert for ham at han ikke fikk tatt noen av oss (In Norwegian) Dagbladet, 9 April 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ali Esbati.|
- Official blog (Swedish)