|Occupation||Architect and Industrial Designer|
Dr. Ali Kashkooli, (also known as Ali Mohammad Sami Kashkooli / Ali M. S. Kashkooli, Persian: علی کشکولی ; born 19 September 1978, Shiraz, Iran), is an Iranian Architect (Post-doctor of Architecture) and Industrial Designer, based in Vancouver, Canada.
Dr. Ali Kashkooli has finished a Post-Doctoral fellowship of Architecture (Specialized in Regenerative Design) in School of Architecture, The University of British Colombia, Canada. He has studied PhD (Doctoral) of Architecture and Structural Engineering (Interdisciplinary) (Specialized in Sustainable Design and Building Life Cycle Assessment (BLCA)) in School of Architecture, The University of Sheffield, United Kingdom (Completed in October 2012). He also has been qualified as an architect, and awarded Masters of Architecture (MArch), in Eastern Mediterranean University, Famagusta, Northern Cyprus (Specialized in Sustainable Design and Time-Based-Architecture, in High-rise buildings) (graduated in July 2008). He achieved his first degree (BSc) in Industrial Design at Iran University of Science and Technology, Tehran, Iran (graduated in January 2003).
He is a member of the following professional associations:
- Member of the World Society of Sustainable Energy Technologies (WSSET), based in the University of Nottingham, Nottingham, United Kingdom (From September 2012)
- Former Member of the Sustainable Building Science Program (SBSP), based in the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada (2012-2013)
- Member of the Building Environments Analysis Unit(BEAU) at The University of Sheffield, Sheffield, United Kingdom (From January 2009).
- Former student member of Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)(From October 2008)
Practice and research
His practice and research life involve various constructional and industrial projects, as well as research in sustainable design, universal design, building LCA etc. His recent practical positions: Director of AKID Ltd 2009-up to present (based in Vancouver, Canada); Director of Sustainable Design at SCHIMERT & HATAI DESIGN PARTNERSHIP, in Vancouver, Canada; Senior Consultant of Canadian Home Style Co. (based in Vancouver, Canada), Construction project manager 2005-2007 (Farassan CO. Shiraz, Iran). Over the last three years he has managed six international teams in design, planning, and business competitions; for three of which he has awarded as a winning architect (Refer to the sections of 'other achievements').
International Journal Papers:
- Kashkooli, A. M. S., Vargas, G. A. & Altan, H. (2013) A semi-quantitative framework of building lifecycle analysis: Demonstrated through a case study of a typical office building block in Mexico in warm and humid climate. Sustainable Cities and Society (In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 13 November 2013).
- Vadiati, Niloufar & Kashkooli, Ali M. S. (2012) An Evaluation Framework For Environmentally Sustainable Development of The Historic Cities Within The Context of City Squares In Isfahan-Iran. Architectoni.ca: Published by Canadian Centre of Academic Art and Science (CCAAS), Volume 1, Issue 3.
- Vadiati, Niloufar & Ali M. S. Kashkooli (2011) "Environmental Sustainability of Newly Developed City Squares in Historic Cities: Case Study of Isfahan-Iran." Procedia Engineering 21(0): 829-837.
- Kashkooli, Ali.M.S., Smyrnova, Y., Altan, H., Kang, J. (2011) “Multi-disciplinary performance assessment of a building unit using a new semi-quantitative method of building lifecycle assessment”, International Journal of Temporal Design (IJTD), Vol. 11, No. 1
- Kashkooli, Ali M. S. and Altan, Hasim. (2010) "Re-Usability of High-Rise Buildings: A Case Study of the Arts Tower in Sheffield, United Kingdom", in ArchNet-IJAR: International Journal of Architectural Research, vol. 4, issue 1
- Kashkooli, Ali M. S. & Fayazmansh, Khorshid (2013). The Role of Chemical Impacts in Building Life Cycle Environmental Impact Assessment. Urban Environmental Pollution (17–20 November 2013). Beijing, China
- Cole, Raymond J. and Kashkooli, Ali.M.S.(2013) Clarifying Net Positive Energy. Stream 5 – Pushing the Boundaries: Net Positive Buildings (SB13), CaGBC National Conference and Expo. Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Kashkooli, Ali.M.S.,Vargas, G. A., Altan, H. (2012) “Lifecycle Energy Analysis of A Typical Office Building Block In Mexico- Warm And Humid Climate”, 11th International Conference on Sustainable Energy technologies (SET-2012), Vancouver, Canada
- Kashkooli, Ali.M.S., Altan, H. (2012) “A Semi-Quantitative Methodology of Building Life Cycle Assessment (BLCA): Demonstrated through a Case Study in Sheffield, UK”, 11th International Conference on Sustainable Energy technologies (SET-2012), Vancouver, Canada
- Kashkooli, Ali.M.S.,Eufrasio, R. M., Altan, H. (2012) “Measuring Lifecycle Carbon Footprint of A Case Study In Mexico”, 11th International Conference on Sustainable Energy technologies (SET-2012), Vancouver, Canada
- Kashkooli, Ali.M.S., Smyrnova, Y., Altan, H., Kang, J. (2011) “Comparison of energy and carbon efficiency vs. acoustic environment in building life cycle assessment (BLCA): A simple methodology for building designers and decision makers”, 5th International Symposium of Temporal Design (ISTD), Sheffield, United Kingdom
- Kashkooli, Ali.M.S., Zahiri, S., Altan, H. (2011) “The Impact of Bionic Design in Proposing Energy Efficient Future: Case study of Ocean Scraper 2050” 10th International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies (SET 2011), Istanbul, Turkey
- Kashkooli, Ali.M.S., Altan, H. (2011) “The Influence of Bionic Design in Planning for a Sustainable Future: The Design of Ocean-Scraper 2050” International Bionic Engineering Conference 2011, Boston, USA
- Kashkooli, Ali M.S. (2010) “Re-usability, a solution to save energy in high-rise buildings: the case study of Arts Tower, Sheffield, United Kingdom”, 3rd International Conference on Passive and Low Energy Cooling for the Built Environment (PALENC 2010), Greece
- Kashkooli, Ali M. S. and Altan, Hasim. (2010) “Critical Building Life-cycle Assessment Methodology: Developing a simple tool” 9th International Detail Design in Architecture Conference, University of Central Lancashire (UCLan), Preston, UK
- Kashkooli, Ali M. S., Kim, Y., Altan, H. (2010) “Employing Renewable Energy in Buildings and Urban Areas: Case of Off-Grid City 2009, South Korea”, International Conference on Clean Energy (ICCI-2010), Gazimagusa – N. Cyprus
- Kashkooli, Ali M. S. (2013) “A Road Map Towards Sustainable Building Design: State of Art in Realistic Decision Making” LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany, ISBN 978-3-659-44832-4
- Kashkooli, Ali M. S. (2010) “Considering Re-usability in Design of High-rise Buildings: A guidebook for architects and structural designers to increase high-rise buildings' service-life through their design” LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany, ISBN 978-3-8383-4100-2
Theses and Dissertations:
- Kashkooli, Ali M. S. (2013), Conventional Building Life Cycle Assessment (BLCA) vs. Regenerative BLCA. Post-Doctoral Dissertation, The University of British Columbia, Canada.
- Kashkooli, Ali M. S. (2012), A Critical Semi-Quantitative Building Life Cycle Assessment Framework For Building Designers and Decision-Makers. PhD Thesis, The University of Sheffield, United Kingdom.
- Kashkooli, Ali M. S. (2008), Re-usability of High-rise Buildings. Master of Architecture, Eastern Mediterranean University, Famagusta, Northern Cyprus.
- Won the ‘International Prize of Best 8 Design Works’ of ISOVER International Skyscraper Design Competition 2011, Manhattan, USA , for designing “Green Tower”, Exhibited in Excel, London, in Ecobuild 2011, as team leader;
- Won the ‘Honourable Prize’ of Incheon International Urban Design Competition 2009, South Korea, for designing “Off-Grid City 2009”, as team leader;
- Won the ‘Grand Prize’ of ‘Dragon’s Den’ in Sheffield, UK, for planning “Open Sheffield” event planning, as team leader;
- “Regeneration of Huntington Downtown, Long Island, USA”, Design work in "Build A Better Burb 2010, USA", as team leader;
- “Ocean Scraper 2050”, Design work in EVOLO 2010, International Skyscraper Design Competition, USA, as team leader;
- Design of “Mondragone Industrial Park 2010”, in Mondragone, Italy, Design work in ADREAM sponsored by UK, France, and Germany the completion of designing buildings with ‘Eco’ and ‘Agro’ materials, as team leader.
- "Building Environments Analysis Unit". Beau.group.shef.ac.uk. Retrieved 2010-12-24.