|Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council|
10 September 2013
|Preceded by||Saeed Jalili|
|Minister of Defence|
19 August 1997 – 24 August 2005
|Preceded by||Mohammad Forouzandeh|
|Succeeded by||Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar|
29 September 1955 |
|Alma mater||Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz|
|Service/branch|| Navy of IRGC (1980–89)
Iran Navy (1989–97)
|Years of service||1981–1997|
|Commands||Navy of the Army of the Guardians of the Islamic Revolution
Islamic Republic of Iran Navy
|Awards|| 2nd grade Fath Medal
Order of Abdulaziz Al Saud
Early life and education
Then he held the post of the minister of defense from August 1997 until August 2005 in the government of Mohammad Khatami. Shamkani was replaced by Mostafa Mohammad-Najjar in the post. In the 2001 presidential elections Shamkhani run for office.
Awards and honors
In 2003, Shamkhani received Shojaat Medal, highest military medal from President Mohammad Khatami. He was also honored for his eight years service as minister of defence in 2005. In 2004, Shamkhani received Order of Abdulaziz Al Saud, highest Medal in Saudi Arabia from King Fahd for his prominent role in the design and implementation in developing relations with Arabic countries in the Persian Gulf. He is the first Iranian minister to received the medal.
- عنوان : اولين مراسم اهدا نشان فتح Navide Shahed
- Biography Hamshahri Online
- Bar, Shmuel (2004). "Iranian Defense Doctrine and Decision Making". Institute for Policy and Strategy. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Antony Preston (August 2001). "Yards Compete for Denmark's Command and Support Vessels". Navy League of the United States. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Ali Shamkhani". Los Angeles Times (Tehran). 15 November 1998. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- Zeb, Rizwan (12 February 2003). "The emerging Indo-Iranian strategic alliance and Pakistan". CACI Analyst. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- Fulton, Will (7 August 2013). "Rouhani’s Cautious Pick for Defense Minister". Al Monitor. Retrieved 11 August 2013.
- Bahman Baktiari (1996). Parliamentary Politics in Revolutionary Iran: The Institutionalization of Factional Politics. University Press of Florida. p. 157. ISBN 978-0-8130-1461-6. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Mehran Riazaty (29 June 2005). "Iran's new president". American Thinker. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- Rachel Ingber (14 August 1997). "Khatami's Cabinet Choices: On the Record" (Policy Watch 264). Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- Sahliyeh, Emile (2002). "The reforming elections in Iran, 2000–2001". Electoral Studies 21. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "Iran to Down Other US Drones If Violations Continue". The Journal of Turkish Weekly. 16 December 2011. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "General Mohammad Salimi". Iran Briefing. 3 February 2011. Retrieved 17 February 2013.
- Jamil Theyabi (12 August 2008). "The Iranian "Giant"". Al Hayat. Retrieved 27 August 2013.
- "Rouhani Appointed Former Defense Minister as the Secretary of NSC". Nasim Online. 10 September 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- علی شمخانی، دبیر شورای عالی امنیت ملی ایران شد Shafaqna
- علی شمخانی گزینه اصلی تصدی گری وزارت کشور روحانی Barfaaz
Mohammad Hossein Malekzadegan
|Commander-in-chief of the Naval Defense Forces
|Minister of Defense
|Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council