Bhatt in 2012
15 March 1993 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Relatives||See Bhatt family|
Alia Bhatt (born 15 March 1993) is an Indian film actress who appears in Bollywood films. She made her acting debut with Karan Johar's romantic comedy Student of the Year (2012), a box office success. She subsequently garnered praise for her next film—Imtiaz Ali's road movie Highway (2014).
Alia Bhatt was born on 15 March 1993 in Mumbai, India. to Indian film director Mahesh Bhatt and actress Soni Razdan. Her parents were Hindus who converted to Islam to get married. According to her parents, Bhatt and her sister Shaheen were raised as atheists. On her mom's side, Bhatt is of Kashmiri and German heritage and on her dad's side, she is of primarily Gujarati descent. She has one half sister Pooja Bhatt, and a half brother Rahul Bhatt. Actor Emraan Hashmi and director Mohit Suri are her cousins while producer Mukesh Bhatt is her uncle. Bhatt graduated from Jamnabai Narsee School IBDP in May 2011.
Bhatt had her first leading role in 2012 with Karan Johar's Student of the Year, alongside Sidharth Malhotra and Varun Dhawan. She portrayed the role of Shanaya, a sophisticated teenage girl who is in a relationship with Dhawan's character but is attracted to the character played by Malhotra. Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama wrote of her performance, "Alia's role is reminiscent of Kareena Kapoor in Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham. Stylish, classy, born with a silver spoon, she's someone who loves to flaunt not just her clothes and bags, but also her riches. Extremely photogenic, Alia makes a super-confident debut." Film critic Anupama Chopra of Hindustan Times also mentioned the similarities with Kapoor's character, but noted that her performance was "without the killer attitude."  Student of the Year was a financial success, grossing 700 million (US$11 million) domestically.
In 2014, Bhatt appeared in Imtiaz Ali's road film Highway alongside Randeep Hooda. Bhatt's portrayal of a girl who develops stockholm syndrome after being kidnapped received positive reviews from critics. Rachit Gupta of Filmfare mentioned that "[a]t 20, it’s surprising how Alia has got so many deft nuances right. It’s as if the actor has grown with the character. She is truly one of the most promising new actors in Hindi films." Sonia Chopra of Sify added that Bhatt is "[c]ompletely immersed" in her role, and that "Alia’s uninhibited and raw performance will have you emotionally invested in her character all through."
As of March 2014, Bhatt has completed work on Johar and Sajid Nadiadwala's joint production 2 States with Arjun Kapoor. Set for an April 2014 release, the film is an adaptation of Chetan Bhagat's novel of the same name. For her role as Ananya Swaminatham, a Tamil girl, she learnt the language. She is filming for Johar's next production Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania alongside Student of the Year co-star Dhawan.
Post her debut, Bhatt performed at several award functions like Filmfare, Screen, and Stardust apart from at an international event in Hong Kong with Varun Dhawan and Siddharth Malhotra. She also performed at a special event alongside Dhawan, Malhotra, Aditya Roy Kapur, Shraddha Kapoor and Huma Qureshi to raise funds for the flood-affected victims of Uttarakhand. She went on to shoot a special PETA ad for cats and other homeless animals. In January 2014, she featured in Dabboo Ratnani's calender with other Bollywood actors and actresses.
In the media
Bhatt is the ambassador of popular brands such as Coca-Cola, Garnier and Maybelline. Raedita Tandon, editor of Filmfare, wrote about Bhatt, "After meeting Alia Bhatt, I came away with an unexpected feeling. Interviewing her was more like having a conversation with a gal pal. She's what one wishes every celebrity was – carefree and relaxed. There's no mincing of words with her and certainly no diplomacy. Maybe it's because she's all of 20 years. Or maybe she gets it from her father, Mahesh Bhatt. Either way, she's a delight. Though there has been a surge of young actors over the past years, only a few have managed to make a mark. Alia is definitely one of them. That too, with just her debut film, Student of the Year. But she's under no delusions. She knows she has a long way to go and is willing to work her 'ass off'"
Despite being romantically linked with her co-actors, she has denied being involved with them. She mentions Sidharth Malhotra, Varun Dhawan, Deepika Padukone, Arjun Kapoor, Sonam Kapoor and Karan Johar to be her friends in the industry.
|1999||Sangharsh||Preet Oberoi||Cameo appearance|
|2012||Student of the Year||Shanaya Singhania|
|2014||Highway||Veera Tripathi||Also playback singer for song "Sooha Saha"|
|2014||2 States||Ananya Swaminathan||Post-production|
|2014||Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania||TBA||Filming|
Awards and nominations
|2012||Student of the Year||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor (Film) Debut – Female||Nominated|
|2013||ETC Bollywood Business Awards||Most Profitable Debut (Female)||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer – Female||Nominated|
|Lions Gold Awards||Favorite Debut (Female)||Won|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Filmfare Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Stardust Awards||Superstar of Tomorrow – Female||Nominated|
|Star Guild Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Times of India Film Awards||Best Debut – Female||Nominated|
- 2012: Hello! Hall of Fame Awards 2012 - Fresh face of the Year 
- 2013: Times of India's Most Desirable Woman of 2012 #19
- 2013: FHM World's Sexiest 100 Women:#22
- 2013: Koimoi Annual Polls Best Fashion Diva: #3
- 2013: Times of India's Hotlist 2012 Most Promising Female Newcomer: #1
- Mehta, Ankita (15 March 2013). "Alia Bhatt’s Journey from Child Artist to Bollywood Actress". International Business Times. Retrieved 10 February 2014.
- "The Saraansh of Mahesh Bhatt's life". Times of India. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Razdan, Soni (23 November 2013). "I'm half Kashmiri Pandit and Half German..also an atheist and have not imposed any faith on my kids". Twitter. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Shedde, Meenakshi (17 Februar 2014). "Berlin diary: Alia Bhatt’s family connection to the German city". Firstpost. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Dubey, Bharati (12 February 2014). "Alia Bhatt's German roots". Mid-Day. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Dutta, Pradeep (30 January 2001). "I’ll voice the worries of Kashmiri Pandits’". Indian Express. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Gupta, Priya (14 January 2014). "I have great reverence for women: Mahesh Bhatt". Times of India. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Anubha Sawhney (18 January 2003). "The Saraansh of Mahesh Bhatt's life". The Times of India. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- Joshi, Sonali; Varma, Lipika (28 May 2012). "Alia Bhatt's silver screen debut". India Today. New Delhi. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- "The new stars of Bollywood". Hindustan Times. 31 December 2010. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Student of the Year (2012) | Hindi Movie Critic Review By Taran Adarsh". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Anupama Chopra's review: Student of the Year". Hindustan Times. 19 October 2012.
- "Student of the Year is a BLOCKBUSTER :4 weeks collection".
- "Movie review: Alia Bhatt delivers a power-packed performance in Highway". Hindustan Times. 21 February 2014. Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Gupta, Rachit (21 February 2014). "Movie Review: Highway". Filmfare. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Chopra, Sonia (20 February 2014). "Highway Review: Don't miss it!". Sify. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "IT’S A WRAP FOR 2 STATES! Dad Encourages Alia Bhatt". Businessofcinema.com. 9 December 2013. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- Kanabar, Ankita R. (20 February 2014). "Alia Bhatt plays a Punjabi girl in Humpty Sharma….". The Indian Express. Retrieved 22 February 2014.
- "Alia is exhausted and unwell". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- Parikh, Urvi (24 September 2013). "Karan Johar's 'students' Sidharth Malhotra, Alia Bhatt and Varun Dhawan perform at Hong Kong". MSN.
- "Varun Dhawan, Alia Bhatt and Siddharth Malhotra unite for a cause – Entertainment – DNA". Daily News and Analysis. 10 August 2013.
- "See Parineeti, Alia, Vidya & More Go Topless In Dabboo Ratnani’s 2014 Calender". 24x7 Bulletin. 10 January 2014. p. 1. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Sonali Joshi Pitale (27 February 2014). "I am politically ignorant, says A R Rahman". Mid-Day. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "Alia Bhatt's kitty full with endorsement deals". M.indiatoday.in.
- "Alia Bhatt to endorse Garnier? | Hindi Movies News". BollywoodHungama.com. 23 January 2013.
- 8 Aug 2013 Rate Story (8 August 2013). ""Arjun's confidence blew me away"- Alia Bhatt". Filmfare.com.
- "Arjun Kapoor – Alia Bhatt: B-Town's newest couple – Entertainment – DNA". Daily News and Analysis. 21 July 2013.
- "Alia Bhatt and Deepika Padukone are the new BFF in Bollywood". daily.bhaskar.com. 28 June 2013.
- "3rd Annual BIG Star Entertainment Awards Nominations". Retrieved 17 December 2012.
- "Nominations announced for ETC Bollywood Business Awards". Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "Nominations for 19th Annual Colors Screen Awards". Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- "Lions Gold Awards Winners 2013". Indicine.
- "Zee Cine Awards 2013: Team 'Barfi!', Vidya Balan, Salman Khan bag big honours".
- "Alia Bhatt—Awards". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 14 October 2013.
- "Nominations for Stardust Awards 2013". Bollywood Hungama.
- Trivedi, Dhiren. "8th Star Guild Apsara Awards Nominations: Shahrukh Khan or Ranbir Kapoor, Vidya Balan or Priyanka Chopra – who will win?".
- "TOIFA Awards 2013 Nominations". Indicine.
- "Times Most Desirable Women 2012 – Results". ITimes.
- "FHM India's 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2013: The full list!". Pinkvilla.
- "Shah Rukh Best Actor, Sridevi Best Actress, JTHJ Best Movie, Dabangg 2 Best Music: Koimoi Audience Poll 2012 Winners List". Koimoi.com. 22 January 2013.
- Priya Gupta & Garima Sharma, TNN (29 August 2013). "The most promising newcomer female for 2012 is". The Times of India.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Alia Bhatt.|