Alice Tegnér's grave
Djursholm burial ground
|Birth name||Alice Sandström|
12 March 1864|
|Died||26 May 1943
|Years active||19th-20th centuries|
Alice Charlotta Tegnér[needs IPA] (12 March 1864 – 26 May 1943) was a Swedish music teacher, poet and composer. She was recognized as a foremost composer of Swedish children's songs during the first half of the 20th century.
Born Alice Sandström in Karlshamn, Sweden, she was the daughter of Eduard Sandström (1829–1879), a ship captain. She was very musical and began taking piano lessons early. She attended seminars in Stockholm (Högre lärarinneseminariet) and trained as a teacher. After graduation, she served as governess. Alice Tegner was a teacher at Djursholms samskola and cantor in Djursholms chapel where Natanael Beskow was a priest.
In addition to children's songs, Alice Tegnér wrote many other types of music in classical genres such as chamber and sacred music together with choral music, cantatas, cello and violin sonatas. Her songs and compositions were inspired by both folk and art music. Her well-known hymnbook Nu ska vi sjunga, with illustrations by Elsa Beskow, was published in 1943.
- 1914 Litteris et Artibus
- 1926 member of the Swedish Royal Academy of Music (Kungliga Musikaliska akademien)
- 1929 First prize in the magazine Idun tonsättartävling
- Baka kaka
- Borgmästar Munthe
- Bä, bä, vita lamm
- Dansa min docka
- Ekorrn satt i granen"
- Hemåt i regnväder (text: Zacharias Topelius)
- I skogen
- Kring julgranen
- Lasse liten (text: Zacharias Topelius)
- Skogsblommorna till barnen (text: Elsa Beskow)
- Betlehems stjärna (text: Viktor Rydberg)
- Var är den Vän, som överallt jag söker (text: Johan Olof Wallin)
- Betlehems stjärna (Gläns över sjö och strand) (text: Viktor Rydberg)
- Hell, vårt land!