Alien Trilogy is a first-person shooter video game developed by Probe Entertainment and published by Acclaim Entertainment for the PlayStation, Sega Saturn and MS-DOS platforms in 1996. The game is based on the first three movies in the Alien film series.
Alien Trilogy takes many elements from Alien film series, such as face huggers, chest bursters, dog aliens, adult aliens, and Queen aliens. The video game consists of 30 levels and 3 Queen alien bosses. This video game is single player only and has several weapons to choose from.
In the role of Lieutenant Ellen Ripley, the player experiences a story loosely derived from the first three films of the Alien franchise. Aside from occasional CGI cut scenes, the plot is told through text-based mission briefings that guide the player through an expanded, action-oriented story, drawing upon the settings and characters of the then-trilogy rather than through the specific plots of the films themselves.
The game begins in essentially the same manner as Aliens, as Ripley—here a marine herself—travels to LV426 to restore contact with the colony there. The other marines are wiped out, so Ripley must then travel through the infested colony and prison facility, and finally the crashed alien ship itself, to destroy the aliens and escape.
Alien Trilogy received generally positive reviews from critics. Aggregating review website GameRankings gave the PlayStation version 77.50%, the Sega Saturn version 77.00% and the PC version 43.00%. IGN gave the game an 8/10. General criticisms included the Doom-like shooting mechanics, occasionally confusing level layout and lack of narrative direction. Irwin Fletcher of Game Revolution praised the high production values, commenting that "Alien Trilogy is nothing revolutionary, but it's a damn good shooter." The first game was a bestseller in the UK.
- "Alien Trilogy". IGN. Retrieved 17 February 2008.
- "Dueling With Aliens". GamePro (57) (IDG). April 1994. p. 19.
- "Alien Trilogy (PlayStation) reviews at". GameRankings. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "Alien Trilogy (Sega Saturn) reviews at". GameRankings. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "Alien Trilogy (PC) reviews at". GameRankings. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "Ultimate Review Archive." Game Informer. Issue 100. August 2001. Page 59. Original review published October 1996.
- "Alien Trilogy". Game Revolution. Retrieved 17 February 2008.
- Gallup UK Playstation sales chart, June 1996, published in Official UK PlayStation Magazine issue 7
|This first-person shooter video game article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|