Alien abduction insurance
Alien abduction insurance is an insurance policy issued against alien abduction. The insurance policy is redeemed if the insured person can prove they were abducted by aliens and returned to earth. Policy offerings vary from $10,000 to $10 million. Some companies offer policies for alien pregnancy, alien examinations and death caused by aliens.
The very first company to offer UFO abduction insurance was the St. Lawrence Agency in Altamonte Springs, Florida. The company says that it has paid out at least two claims. The company pays the claimant $1 per year until their death or for 1 million years, whichever comes first. Over 20,000 people have purchased the insurance. The insurance is normally purchased by the "feeble-minded", according to Simon Burgess, former Managing Director and co-founder of British Insurance. Prominent policyholders have included Shirley MacLaine and a Harvard University professor who has written on aliens.
The Heaven's Gate religious group had purchased alien abduction insurance before their mass suicide. Their insurance company (London brokerage Goodfellow Rebecca Ingrams Pearson (GRIP) stopped offering alien abduction insurance after the suicide - having sold the policy to about four thousand people (mostly in England and the United States). At a cost of roughly $155 a year the GRIP policy would pay about $160,000 to someone who could show that they had been abducted by a being who was not from Earth. The payment would double if the insured person was impregnated during the event. Men were also able to purchase the impregnation insurance for protection against the unknown capabilities of alien technology.
- Bouvier, Marie (29 April 2003). "Alien Abduction Insurance Policies". Weekly World News: 20. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Haddock, Vicki (18 October 1998). "Don't sweat alien threat". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- Dégh, Linda (2001). Legend and Belief: Dialectics of a Folklore Genre. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press. p. 446. ISBN 978-0253339294. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Seipel, Tracy (31 March 1997). "Heaven's Gate (Part 16)". Internet Sacred Text Archive. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Shepherd, Chuck (25 August 1996). "Insurance Coverage Against Alien Abduction Available". positiveatheism.org. Retrieved 15 August 2014.