Alien vs. Predator
Alien vs. Predator, also known as Aliens vs. Predator and Aliens versus Predator (all titles abbreviated AvP), is a science fiction horror series spanning several media. The series is a fictional crossover between two film franchises about alien species: the Aliens and the Predators. The franchise, which depicts the two species as being in conflict with one another, includes comics, novels, computer/video games, and feature films, the rights to which all belong to 20th Century Fox Studios. There have been two Aliens vs. Predator films.
|This section requires expansion. (July 2012)|
The first Aliens versus Predator story was published by Dark Horse Comics in Dark Horse Presents #34-36 (November 1989-February 1990). In November 1990, Predator 2 was released in theaters, and includes a scene depicting an Alien skull as one of the Predator's trophies. The first official film was released in 2004 and was called Aliens versus Predator. The second film in the series was named Aliens versus Predator: Requiem and was released in 2007.
- Aliens vs. Predator
- Aliens versus Predator versus The Terminator
- Alien vs. Predator Three World War
- Aliens vs. Predator/Witchblade/Darkness: Mindhunter
- Aliens vs. Predator/Witchblade/Darkness: Overkill
- Superman and Batman versus Aliens and Predator
- Aliens/Predator: Deadliest of the Species
A crossover novel series was produced based on the two franchises.
- Aliens vs. Predator: Prey by Steve Perry
- Aliens vs. Predator: Hunter's Planet by Dave Bischoff
- Aliens vs. Predator: War by S.D. Perry
- Alien vs. Predator: The Movie Novelization by Marc Cerasini
Other books depict the background to the film's work with Amalgamated Dynamics Incorporated (ADI), the special effects company that worked on the Alien films.
- Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem - Inside the Monster Shop (by Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff, Jr., Design Studio Press, December 2007, ISBN 1-933492-55-4, Titan Books, January 2008, ISBN 1-84576-909-0)
- Alien vs. Predator: The Creature Effects of ADI (by Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff, Jr., Design Studio Press, August 2004, ISBN 0-9726676-5-2)
- List of Alien and Predator games – For games based on the Alien and Predator franchises.
Action figures 
In 1994, Kenner released a collection of action figures known as Aliens vs. Predator. This followed the two initial series of Aliens that were based on an animated series, Operation: Aliens, that was never broadcast. As such, the inclusion of Predator is often considered the 3rd and 4th series of the Aliens line. This collection includes several Aliens, many of which feature built-in attack features, and Predators, which include removable masks and battle weapons such as spears and missile launchers. The figures generally possess 5 points of articulation, and some include a mini Dark Horse comic book.
While the collection as a whole is known as Aliens vs. Predator, the two character types have their own card art that only features the character at hand. An exception would be the Aliens vs. Predator 2-pack. Since human space marines were included in the initial Aliens line, the Predator was marketed as an alternative enemy to the Aliens. A figure cardback reads:
- "The stage is set for the universe's two most ferocious enemies. It's the gruesome and evil Aliens against the big-game hunter Predator. Who will win... the beast or the hunter? Can the Predator stop the evil Aliens before the galaxy is destroyed?!?!?!"
The Aliens: Hive Wars series was released in 1995, which included various Aliens, Predators, and larger scaled space marines. More figures, including a female Predator and an Alien/Predator/Smash Mason 3-pack, were designed for this series but never released as part of the line.
Six sets of Aliens and Predator Micro Machines were also planned by Galoob in 1995 but never released. This would have also included the LV-426/Outer World Station Action Fleet Playset. Thanks in part to the research of toy collectors, many photos of these unreleased toys and prototypes have shown up on the Web in recent years.
In December 2002, McFarlane Toys released a highly detailed Alien vs. Predator deluxe set. In 2004, they produced a series of figures based on the Alien vs. Predator film. Alongside the articulated figures, McFarlane also released statuesque display sets depicting scenes from the film.
- Duke Nostalgia's Predators Page DukeNostalgia.com. Retrieved February 9, 2008.
- Classic Aliens vs Predator Nostalgia ForumPlanet.GameSpy.com (January 5, 2008). Retrieved February 9, 2008.
- Cawiezel, Marc H. The History of Unproduced Alien and Predator Toys Members.AOL.com (October 29, 2006). Retrieved February 9, 2008.
- Crawford, Michael Alien vs. Predator MWCToys.com (December 13, 2002). Retrieved Retrieved February 9, 2008.
- Alien Attacks Predator CollectionDX.com (January 12, 2008). Retrieved February 9, 2008.
- Beautiful Monsters: The Unofficial and Unauthorised Guide to the Alien and Predator Films (by David A. McIntee, Telos, 272 pages, 2005, ISBN 1-903889-94-4)