A former student of classical ballet, Whyte graduated from the Victorian College of the Arts before rising to prominence on Australian television for her role as the moralising producer Emma Ward on Frontline, the ABC's parody of current affairs programs – a role for which she won a Logie Award. Since 2007, she has played Lauren, the housewife-turned-prostitute on Satisfaction. She won the 2008 silver Logie Award for Most Outstanding Female Actress for this role.
Her other television roles have included the legal comedy-drama Marshall Law 2002 with Lisa McCune and William McInnes, and Good Guys Bad Guys. In addition to television roles, she has appeared in the two-actor film Saturday Night, with Aaron Pedersen. She has also worked in theatre, with stage roles in A Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night and Much Ado About Nothing. In 2008, she appeared in a production of David Williamson's play Don's Party at the Sydney Opera House, and guest starred in a recent episode of City Homicide.
From 1995 to 2007 Whyte and her husband Fred Whitlock ran the Terminus Hotel in Abbotsford, Melbourne, Victoria. Now the couple own the Yarra Glen Grand Hotel, in Victoria. Whyte has also visited Vietnam and Cambodia as a spokesperson for Oxfam.
Film and television credits include:
- Centre Place (2012) as Jo
- Tangle (TV series ), 2009
- Satisfaction as Lauren (2007–2009)
- City Homicide (2007)
- Real Stories as Vicky Welsh (2006)
- Small Claims: The Reunion (2006) as Pip
- CrashBurn as Gillian (2003)
- Subterano as JD (2003)
- Marshall Law as Verity Marshall (2002)
- Dogwoman: The Legend of Dogwoman as Jacinta Davies (2000)
- Saturday Night as Simone (2000)
- SeaChange as Katrina Fennessy (1999)
- Good Guys Bad Guys as Stella Kinsella (1997)
- Blue Heelers as Janelle Davies (1994)
- Frontline as Emma Ward (1994–1997)
- Neighbours as Amber Martin (1990)
- Alison Whyte at the Internet Movie Database
- Australian Television Information Archive
- Jill Stark, "Pub with guilt-free beer" in The Age, Sept 22, 2005
- Alison Whyte's character Lauren from Satisfaction