Aljazeera.com has been, since March 2011, the address for the Al Jazeera English website. The domain name was acquried by Al Jazeera in March 2011 from Aljazeera Publishing, a Dubai-based media company which owned the separate Al Jazeera Magazine, after a long-running domain name dispute between the two entities. Al Jazeera English began promoting aljazeera.com instead of aljazeera.net/english since the domain name became part of Al Jazeera English.
History of Al Jazeera Magazine
Until March 2011, aljazeera.com was an English language website for Aljazeera Magazine, which was unrelated to the Arabic satellite TV channel Al Jazeera; the latter operates websites in both Arabic (www.aljazeera.net) and English (english.aljazeera.net). It was also unrelated to Al Jazeera Newspaper of Saudi Arabia. According to Alexa, there were fewer visitors to aljazeera.com in comparison to aljazeera.net. The former website was operated by Aljazeera Publishing, described as an "independent media organisation."
Domain name dispute
In the Administrative Panel Decision, the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center found the TV Channel to have brought the proceedings in bad faith and found it had abused the administrative proceedings.
As of 2006, Aljazeera.com wrote on their About page:
- "Important note: Aljazeera Publishing and Aljazeera.com are not associated with any of the below organisations:
- 1. Al Jazeera Newspaper, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia whose website is al-jazirah.com
- 2. Al Jazeera Satellite Channel whose website is aljazeera.net.
- 3. Al Jazeera Information Centre who website is aljazeerah.info
- Aljazeera Publishing disassociates itself from the views, opinions and broadcasts of these titles."
Views presented by Aljazeera.com are frequently misattributed to the Al Jazeera TV channel, including one case in which The Times criticised the channel in its leader column based on material published on Aljazeera.com, for which the newspaper later apologised. The magazine's editorial slant appears markedly different than that of the Al Jazeera TV channel, with the former far more critical of U.S. and Israeli policy than the latter.
In April 2011, the domain aljazeera.com directed to Al Jazeera English, and the domain ownership as listed on WHOIS records was updated from alJazeera Publishing to alJazeera TV Channel. At the time of the purchase, a simple page stated "Moving to Doha", leading to certain long-time readers initially suspecting a hack of the website. No public details regarding the purchase of the domain has been made public by either party.
- Alexa traffic comparison between aljazeera.net and aljazeera.com
- Flamini, Roland (2005-11-21). "Al-Jazeera in fight for Web site name.". UPI International Intelligence. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- WIPO Domain Name Decision: D2005-0309
- "Between the Lines". Fast Company. 2006-04-01. Retrieved 2008-07-04.
- Brook, Stephen (2006-02-16). "Times apologises to al-Jazeera". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 2008-07-04.