|No. 10 – Rain or Shine Elasto Painters|
|Born||August 3, 1992|
|Listed height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Listed weight||175 lb (79 kg)|
|High school||San Beda College|
|College||University of Santo Tomas|
|2011-12||RnW Pacific Pipes Steelmasters
|2012-13||Jumbo Plastic Linoleum Giants
UST Growling Tigers
In his second season, Mariano became a starter for the Tigers, while averaging 7.1 points per game and 3.1 rebounds per game. Unfortunately, the inexperienced Tigers failed to return to the Final Four and finished 7th in the standings at 4-10 ahead of the UP Fighting Maroons.
Injury and return
Mariano returned to the Tigers the following season. In a game against the Ateneo Blue Eagles, Mariano scored a career high 21 points and 13 rebounds as he led the Tigers to snap a 12 game losing streak against the Blue Eagles 71-70. In a game against the De La Salle Green Archers, Mariano scored all of his 15 points in the 4th quarter and in the two overtime periods, including the game-winning basket with 7.1 seconds left as the Tigers defeat the Green Archers in double overtime 84-82. Then in their second round meeting against the NU Bulldogs, Mariano set another career high 22 points including the game winner with 4.4 seconds left in overtime as he led the Tigers to an overtime victory against the Bulldogs 58-57. The Tigers were able to advance to the UAAP Final Four as the #2 seed with a 10-4 record in the elimination round, they were able to defeat the NU Bulldogs to advance to the UAAP Finals and faced off against the Ateneo Blue Eagles but were swept in the Finals 2-0 as the Blue Eagles completed their five-peat. Mariano finished the season averaging 13.3 points per game, 7.3 rebounds per game and 2.2 assists per game on 42% shooting from the field, 36% shooting from 3 point range and 67% free throw shooting.
In the Philippine Collegiate Champions League later that year, Mariano would play a key part in the Tigers run in the tournament as they first won the Metro Manila-Luzon tournament by defeating both the Letran Knights and the Adamson Soaring Falcons to enter into the PCCL Final Four with the Ateneo Blue Eagles, San Beda Red Lions and the Southwestern U Cobras. The Tigers would finish with a 2-1 record in the Final Four to set up a rematch with the Blue Eagles in the Finals, where the Tigers exacted their revenge against the Eagles as they were crowned the National Champions after winning the title in a tightly contested three game series.
In his fourth season with the Tigers, Mariano fought through an ankle injury throughout the season as the Tigers struggled throughout the season after coming off their runner-up finish the previous season and their national championship run. Despite the injury, Mariano would be a key catalyst to the Tigers' run throughout the season as the Tigers made a stunning bid to return UAAP Finals where they battled the De La Salle Green Archers. Mariano however would struggle during the Finals against the Archers. In Game 3 of the Finals, he missed the title-clinching jumper that sent the game into overtime and would turn the ball over in the final moments that led to the title-clinching jumper by Almond Vosotros as the Archers won the title with a Game 3 win over the Tigers 71-69. Mariano ended the season averaging 11.4 points per game, 7.3 rebounds per game and 2.1 assists per game on 40% shooting from the field and 66% shooting from the free throw line.
- UAAP Season 72 - University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers » inboundpass.com – Covering Philippine college basketball:
- UAAP Season 73 - University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers » inboundpass.com – Covering Philippine college basketball:
- Tiger Pride: Returning Mariano plays career game to help UST top Ateneo Interaksyon.com
- UAAP: Growling Tigers end 12-game drought against Blue Eagles GMA News Online
- Mariano carries UST in double-overtime escape over La Salle Interaksyon.com
- UAAP: Tigers dispatch Bulldogs in overtime GMA News Online
- Five-peat complete, as Ateneo sweeps UST
- UAAP Season 75 - University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers » inboundpass.com – Covering Philippine college basketball
- UST edges Ateneo in Game 3 to clinch PCCL title Inquirer Sports
- Aljon Mariano reveals season-long injured ankle amid criticism of poor play in UST defeat InterAKTV
- La Salle wins OT thriller to claim UAAP crown ABS-CBN News
- UAAP Season 76 - University of Santo Tomas Growling Tigers » inboundpass.com – Covering Philippine college basketball: