1897 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship
|Winning team||Limerick (1st win)|
|All-Star Team||See here|
The All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 1897 was the eleventh series of the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship, Ireland's premier hurling knock-out competition. Limerick won the championship, beating Kilkenny 3-4 to 2-4 in the final.
Semi-final: (1 match) This is a lone game which sees the winners of the Leinster championship play Galway who receive a bye to this stage. One team is eliminated while the winning team advances to the final.
Final: (1 match) The winners of the lone semi-final play the winners of the Munster championship.
20 November 1898
|Limerick||3-4 – 2-4||Kilkenny|
- Limerick win the Munster championship for the first time. It was their fourth appearance in the final.
- An All-Ireland semi-final is played for the first time since the 1887 championship. That game is the first ever championship meeting of Galway and Kilkenny.
- The All-Ireland final is the very first championship meeting of Kilkenny and Limerick. The win gives Limerick their very first championship.
- Limerick become fifth team to win the All-Ireland hurling title. They become the fourth team to have won an All-Ireland title in both hurling and Gaelic football.
- "All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Roll of Honour". The GAA website. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- Corry, Eoghan, The GAA Book of Lists (Hodder Headline Ireland, 2005).
- Donegan, Des, The Complete Handbook of Gaelic Games (DBA Publications Limited, 2005).