1940 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship
|Winning team||Limerick (6th win)|
|Top Scorer||Ted O'Sullivan (7-0)
Jackie Power (5-6)
|All-Star Team||See here|
The All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 1940 was the 54th series of the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship, Ireland's premier hurling knock-out competition. Limerick won the championship, beating Kilkenny 3-7 to 1-7 in the final at Croke Park, Dublin.
The All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship was run on a provincial basis as usual. All games were played on a knockout basis whereby once a team lost they were eliminated from the championship. The format for the All-Ireland series of games ran as follows:
- The winners of the Leinster Championship advanced directly to the All-Ireland final.
- The winners of the Munster Championship advanced directly to a lone All-Ireland semi-final.
- Galway, a team who faced no competition in the Connacht Championship, entered the championship at the All-Ireland semi-final stage where they played the Munster champions.
- There were no representatives from the Ulster Championship in the All-Ireland series.
|First round||Offaly||3-4 - 4-8||Laois|
|First round||Westmeath||5-7 - 2-1||Meath|
|Second round||Offaly||2-4 - 2-5||Westmeath|
|Quarter-final||Westmeath||2-5 - 2-4||Wexford|
|Semi-final||Dublin||2-8 - 1-8||Laois|
|Semi-final||Kilkenny||3-16 - 1-5||Westmeath|
|Final||Kilkenny||3-6 - 2-5||Dublin|
|Quarter-final||Cork||6-3 - 2-6||Tipperary|
|Quarter-final||Limerick||4-2 - 3-5||Waterford|
|Quarter-final replay||Limerick||3-5 - 3-3||Waterford|
|Semi-final||Cork||7-6 - 3-5||Clare|
|Final||Limerick||4-3 - 3-6||Cork|
|Final replay||Limerick||3-3 - 2-4||Cork|
|Semi-final 11 August||Limerick||3-6 - 0-5||Galway||Cusack Park|
|Final 1 September||Limerick||3-7 - 1-7||Kilkenny||Croke Park|
- Corry, Eoghan, The GAA Book of Lists (Hodder Headline Ireland, 2005).
- Donegan, Des, The Complete Handbook of Gaelic Games (DBA Publications Limited, 2005).