AllMusic's logotype and logo (since July 2013)
|Slogan||Music search, recommendations, videos and reviews|
|Type of site||Online database for music albums, artists and songs; including reviews and biographies|
|Owner||All Media Network, LLC (since August 2013)|
|Created by||Michael Erlewine|
|Alexa rank||2,490 (April 2014[update])|
AllMusic (previously known as All Music Guide or AMG) is an online music guide service website, owned by All Media Network, LLC. AllMusic was founded in 1991 by popular culture archivist Michael Erlewine as a guide for consumers. Its first reference book was published the following year. When first released onto the Internet, AMG predated the World Wide Web and was first available as a Gopher site. In late 2007, Macrovision (now Rovi Corporation) acquired AMG for a reported $72 million.
The AMG consumer web properties AllMusic.com, AllMovie.com and AllGame.com were sold by Rovi in July 2013 to All Media Network, LLC. All Media Network, LLC. was formed by the original founders of SideReel.com and Ackrell Capital.
AllMusic's database, which is licensed and used in point-of-sale systems by some music retailers, includes the following:
- Basic data: names, genres, credits, copyright information, product numbers.
- Descriptive content: styles, tones, moods, themes, nationalities.
- Relational content: similar artists and albums, influences.
- Editorial content: biographies, reviews, rankings.
AllMusic also claims to have the largest digital archive of music, including about six million digital songs, as well as the largest cover art library, with more than half a million cover image scans.
The AllMusic database is also used by several generations of Windows Media Player and Musicmatch Jukebox to identify and organize music collections. Windows Media Player 11 and the integrated MTV Urge music store have expanded the use of AllMusic data to include related artists, biographies, reviews, playlists and other data.
AllMusic is also used to provide catalog data, artist biographies, album reviews, related artist information, playlists and other information in the iTunes Music Store, Zune Marketplace, Zune player, eMusic, AOL, Yahoo!, Amazon.com and other music stores. AllMusic is also at the heart of the Naim Extended Music database used by the Naim HDX hard disk player.
- "Allmusic.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "AllMusic FAQ". All Media Network, LLC. Retrieved March 29, 2014. "©2014 AllMusic, a division of All Media Network, LLC"
- "AllMusic". Retrieved July 20, 2012.
- "Macrovision Corporation, acquired All Media Guide Holdings, Inc.". Mandasoft. December 17, 2007. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "Rovi Corporation Reports Second Quarter 2013 Financial Performance Announces Agreements to Sell Rovi Entertainment Store and Consumer Website Businesses". Rovi. July 21, 2013. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- "Digital Entertainment Veterans Launch ‘All Media Network’ to Perfect Digital Media Discovery". BusinessWire. December 3, 2013. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- Bruno, Anthony (February 28, 2011). "AllMusic.com Folding Into AllRovi.com for One-Stop Entertainment Shop". Billboard. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- Heater, Brian (August 13, 2007). "Top 100 Classic Websites – AllMusic – Slideshow from pcmag.com". PCmag.com. Retrieved September 24, 2013.