All Media Network
|Trading name||All Media Network, LLC|
|Predecessor(s)||All Media Guide, AllRovi|
|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Products||AllMusic, AllMovie, AllGame, SideReel, Celebified|
All Media Network (formerly All Media Guide or AMG, and later, AllRovi), is an American company that owns and maintains AllMusic, AllGame, AllMovie, SideReel, and Celebified. AMG was founded in 1990 by popular-culture archivist Michael Erlewine which started with the All Music Guide (now AllMusic) in 1991, and expanded to offer the All Movie Guide (now AllMovie) in 1994 and the All Game Guide (now AllGame) in 1998. In late 2007, Macrovision (now Rovi Corporation) acquired the Guides for a reported $72 million. Rovi in turn, sold the consumer access to them to newly established All Media Network, LLC in 2013, while retaining ownership and maintenance of the content itself.
The company was founded in Big Rapids, Michigan in 1990, and aimed to "[compile] discographic information on every artist who's made a record since Enrico Caruso gave the industry its first big boost" with the All Music Guide (now AllMusic), which launched in 1991. They expanded with the All Movie Guide (now AllMovie) in 1994 and the All Game Guide (now AllGame) in 1998. AMG moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan in 1999 to take advantage of the "rich talent pool". AMG was a business unit within Alliance Entertainment Corporation from 1996 until early 2005. Alliance was was acquired in 1999 by Yucaipa Companies, a multi-billion dollar fund based in California. Macrovision (now Rovi) announced on November 6, 2007 that it had agreed to purchase All Media Guide. For a time, all of the guides were controlled by Rovi's nameservers and combined access to the All Music and All Movie Guides was provided via AllRovi.com from 2011 until 2013. In 2013, Rovi sold consumer access of the content to the newly established All Media Network, LLC, but retained control of licensing the content to other businesses. The encompassing website that was once allmediaguide.com and then allrovi.com is now allmedianetwork.com.
All Media Network licenses large databases of metadata about movies, video games, audio books, and music releases from Rovi Corporation and publishes them online for consumer use. This includes credits, and staff-written biographies, reviews, ratings, and recommendations as well as categories such as theme or mood. Rovi also makes this content available for point of sale systems in stores globally, for CD and DVD recognition in software media players such as Windows Media Player and Musicmatch Jukebox, and for providing content for a variety of websites including iTunes, Pandora, and Spotify.
Formerly, AMG sold print compilations of its information.
AllMusic is an online database which provides access to information about songs, albums, musicians, bands, and musical styles alongside staff-authored news, reviews, biographies, ratings and recommendations. The content was initially published in book form in 1991 as the All Music Guide, and is now freely available to the public for online reference and information as well as available via licensing for point-of-sale systems, media players, and online music stores.
AllMovie, launched in 1994 as the All Movie Guide, provides access to information about actors, films, and filmmakers with staff-authored news, reviews, ratings, and recommendations. It offers limited information about Television productions, focused mainly on those released on DVD. Like AllMusic, this content is also available via licensing to point-of-sale systems, media players, and online stores.
Celebified offers celebrity news and interviews and started in 2012.
- "All Media Network, LLC". LinkedIn. LinkedIn. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "Digital Entertainment Veterans Launch 'All Media Network' to Perfect Digital Media Discovery". MarketWatch. MarketWatch. December 3, 2013. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Bowe, Brian J. (January 24, 2007). "Make it or Break it". Metro Times. Metro Times. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "Macrovision Corporation, acquired All Media Guide Holdings, Inc.". Mandasoft. December 17, 2007. Retrieved June 18, 2012.
- "Rovi Corporation Reports Second Quarter 2013 Financial Performance". http://www.rovicorp.com. Rovi Corporation. July 31, 2013. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Zac, Johnson (September 2013). "What's the Story on Rovi". http://www.sidereel.com/topic/faq. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Wolf, Gary (February 1994). "All Music". http://www.wired.com. Wired. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "Macrovision Agrees to Acquire All Media Guide Holdings, Inc." (Press release). BusinessWire. November 6, 2007. Retrieved November 6, 2007.
- "ALLMUSIC". http://www.musicminder.com. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- Bruno, Antony (February 28, 2011). "AllMusic.com Folding Into AllRovi.com for One-Stop Entertainment Shop". Billboard. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "AllMusic FAQ". All Media Network, LLC. Retrieved March 29, 2014. "©2014 AllMusic, a division of All Media Network, LLC"
- "AllMovie - Movies and Films Database". All Media Network, LLC. Retrieved March 29, 2014. "©2014 AllMovie, a division of All Media Network, LLC"
- "What About TV Information". http://www.allmovie.com. AllMovie. Retrieved February 27, 2014.
- "AllGame FAQs". All Media Network, LLC. Retrieved March 29, 2014. "© 2014 AllGame, a division of All Media Network, LLC"
- "About SideReel". All Media Network, LLC. Retrieved March 29, 2014. "© 2014 SideReel, a division of All Media Network, LLC"