All Day and All of the Night
|"All Day and All of the Night"|
French 7" EP
|Single by The Kinks|
|B-side||"I Gotta Move"|
|Released||23 October 1964 (UK)
9 December 1964 (US)
|Recorded||23 September 1964 at Pye Studios (No. 2), London|
|Label||Pye 7N 15714 (UK)
Reprise 0334 (US)
|The Kinks singles chronology|
"All Day and All of the Night" is a song by the British band The Kinks from 1964. It reached No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart and No. 7 on Billboard 's United States chart in 1965. The song was released on the American studio album Kinks-Size.
Like their previous hit "You Really Got Me", the song relies on a simple sliding power chord riff, although this song's riff is slightly more complicated, incorporating a B Flat after the chords F and G. Otherwise, the recordings are similar in beat and structure, with similar background vocals, progressions, and guitar solos.
For many years it was rumoured that Jimmy Page played the guitar solo; however, Ray Davies confirmed that Dave Davies created and played the solo, accidentally augmenting the riff by playing it through a speaker with a hole in it. Page may have appeared on the single's b-side, "I Gotta Move", which gives credits as "possibly Jimmy Page acoustic 12 string guitar, else Ray Davies".
Dave Davies claimed that the song was where he "found his voice," saying, "I liked the guitar sound on 'All Day And All Of The Night,' the second single we had. When they tried to develop amplifiers that had pre-gain and all, I thought it wasn't quite right, and I struggled with the sound for a while. I never liked Marshalls, because they sounded like everybody else. Then in the mid '70s I started using Peavey, and people said, "Nobody uses Peavey - country and western bands use them" [laughs]. I used to blow them up every night. I used two Peavey Maces together, and it was brilliant."
Similarities between the song and The Doors' 1967 song, "Hello, I Love You" have been pointed out. Ray Davies said on the topic: "My publisher wanted to sue. I was unwilling to do that. I think they cut a deal somewhere, but I don't know the details." Dave Davies said of this: "That one is the most irritating of all of all of them ... I did a show where I played "All Day and All of the Night" and stuck in a piece of 'Hello, I Love You.' There was some response, there were a few smiles. But I've never understood why nobody's ever said anything about it. You can't say anything about the Doors. You're not allowed to."
EP track listing
The song was also the title track of an extended play single in some territories and was not included on an album at the time of its release. In the UK, it was included on the Kinksize Hits EP. The tracklisting for the European EP was as follows:
- "All Day and All of the Night" – 2:22
- "I'm a Lover, Not a Fighter" – 2:03
- "I Gotta Move" – 2:25
- "Long Tall Shorty" – 2:40
Original UK EP
- "You Really Got Me"
- "It's All Right"
- "All Day and All of The Night"
- "I Gotta Move"
Pye NEP. 24 203, released 15 January 1965 (UK EP charts : #3)
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||22|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||17|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||9|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||2|
|US Billboard Hot 100||7|
- Brackett, David (2000). Interpreting Popular Music. University of California Press. p. 1. ISBN 978-0-5202-2541-1.
- "Ray Davies In Conversation at BFI Southbank". BFI. May 2011. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- Gewen, Barry (5 March 2008). "Ray Davies, Rock Poet?". The New York Times. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Archive Chart: 1964-11-21" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "The Kinks – Awards". AllMusic. All Media Network. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- Booklet of the Kinks' Picture Book boxset Sanctuary Records 2008
- Resnicoff, Matt (March 1990). "Dave Davies – Out Of The Survivors". Guitar Player.
- Greene, Andy (27 November 2014). "Ray Davies: 'If We Do a Kinks Show, We're the Kinks'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Resnicoff, Buddy (30 April 1997). "Loyal Pains: The Davies Boys Are Still at It". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "InfoDisc : Tous les Titres par Artiste" (in French). InfoDisc. Select "The Kinks" from the artist drop-down menu. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "Officialcharts.de – The Kinks – All Day And All Of The Night". GfK Entertainment. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – The Kinks - All Day And All Of The Night search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – The Kinks – All Day And All Of The Night" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 535. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- The Official Ray Davies Web Site
- The Official Ray Davies Forum - "The Old Grey Board"
- The Official Ray Davies Forum on YouTube
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
- Kinks mash up personal version by Kuya Manzano