Jimi: All Is by My Side
|Jimi: All Is by My Side|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||John Ridley|
|Produced by||Danny Bramson
|Written by||John Ridley|
|Music by||Danny Bramson
|Edited by||Hank Corwin
|Distributed by||XLrator Media|
Jimi: All Is by My Side is a 2013 British-Irish drama film about Jimi Hendrix, written and directed by John Ridley. It was screened in the Special Presentation section at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival. It was screened at the South by Southwest film festival and was released in the UK on 8 August 2014. The film screened at the New Zealand International Film Festival (NZIFF) on 26 July 2014.
The film does not include any songs written by Hendrix, as the filmmakers' request to use them was denied by Experience Hendrix LLC (Hendrix's estate). Instead, the film set in London in 1966 and 1967 includes the songs that Hendrix performed during those years, shortly before the release of his debut album, Are You Experienced. All musical parts were played by Waddy Wachtel (guitar), Leland Sklar (bass), Kenny Aronoff (drums). Wachtel wrote bits of music for the film that sound similar to the Experience's early songs.
The film has caused controversy as several of Hendrix's friends, including Kathy Etchingham, have vocally decried the film as largely fictitious. This includes scenes depicting a fictionalized Hendrix violently and repeatedly beating Etchingham (played by Hayley Atwell). In interviews given recently, Etchingham describes Hendrix as a gentle man, and the time she spent with him some of the best years of her life.
- André Benjamin as Jimi Hendrix
- Hayley Atwell as Kathy Etchingham
- Burn Gorman as Michael Jeffery
- Imogen Poots as Linda Keith
- Andrew Buckley as Chas Chandler
- Ruth Negga as Ida
- Ashley Charles as Keith Richards
- Amy De Bhrún as Phoebe
- Clare-Hope Ashitey as Faye
- Laurence Kinlan as John
- Jade Yourell as Roberta Goldstein
- Sam McGovern as Ted
- Robbie Jarvis as Andrew Loog Oldham
Jimi: All Is by My Side received a rating of 68% on Rotten Tomatoes, with an average rating of 6/10 based on 72 reviews. The site's consensus states: "It's uneven—and it lacks the primal power of its subject's classic recordings—but Jimi: All Is By My Side offers a well-acted alternative take on the Hendrix myth." On Metacritic, the film has a rating of 66 out of 100, based on 27 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- "Jimi: All Is By My Side (2014)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved October 2, 2014.
- "All Is by My Side". TIFF. Retrieved 2013-08-05.
- "Andre 3000 Covers Beatles, Muddy Waters for Jimi Hendrix Biopic - Rolling Stone". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 3 October 2014.
- "Jimi's hands. Waddy Wachtel talks Hendrix - Mono". Mono. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- "Jimi Hendrix's former girlfriend slams 'made up' domestic violence in new film - Daily Mail Online". Mail Online. Retrieved 3 October 2014.
- "Jimi: All Is by My Side". Rotten Tomatoes. 26 September 2014. Retrieved 3 October 2014.
- "Jimi: All Is by My Side Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 3 October 2014.