All My Love (song)
|"All My Love"|
|Song by Led Zeppelin from the album In Through the Out Door|
|Released||15 August 1979|
|Genre||Progressive rock, symphonic rock|
|In Through the Out Door track listing|
"All My Love" is the sixth track on Led Zeppelin's 1979 album, In Through the Out Door. Credited to Robert Plant and John Paul Jones, it is a slow-tempo song that features a synthesizer solo by Jones. It was written in honor of Plant's son Karac, who died while Led Zeppelin were on their 1977 North American tour.
The original working title for the song's composition was called "The Hook".
"All My Love" was recorded between November and December 1978 at Polar Studios, located in Stockholm, Sweden. A studio outtake of an extended version of the song exists, timed around 7:55 (the song itself would be timed around 6:58). It has a complete ending, with Plant extending the last chorus with much ad-libbing and a twangy B-Bender guitar solo by Page. This version has been made available on a number of Led Zeppelin bootleg recordings.
The song was played live on Led Zeppelin's concert tour of Europe in 1980. It was one of the most well received performances of the tour. "All My Love" is also included on the Led Zeppelin compilations Early Days and Latter Days, Remasters and Mothership.
In an interview he later gave to rock journalist Cameron Crowe, Plant stated that this song was one of Led Zeppelin's "finest moments". However, guitarist Jimmy Page has expressed less fond sentiments for the song. In an interview with Guitar World magazine in 1998, Page stated that he and drummer John Bonham
...both felt that In Through the Out Door was a little soft. I wasn't really keen on "All My Love". I was a little worried about the chorus. I could just imagine people doing the wave and all of that. And I thought, that's not us. That's not us. In its place it was fine, but I wouldn't have wanted to pursue that direction in the future.
It is also the only track in the band's catalogue to feature a nylon-stringed classical guitar part.
|Radio Caroline||United Kingdom||"Top 500 Tracks"||1999||239|
Formats and tracklistings
1979 7" single edition (Brazil: Swan Song SS 11105, Paraguay: Swan Song 11.105)
- A. "All My Love" [mono] (Jones, Plant) – 5:33
- B. "All My Love" [stereo] (Jones, Plant) – 5:33
1979 7" single edition (Argentina: Swan Song SS 79435)
- A. "All My Love" (Jones, Plant) – 5:33
- B. "Hot Dog" (Page, Plant) – 3:15
1980 7" single edition (Peru: Capricornio 030 [RI 16288])
- A. "All My Love (Con Todo Mi Amor)" (Jones, Plant) – 5:53
- B. "Rise"* (Armer, Badazz) – 4:53
(*) B-side by Herb Alpert
- Robert Plant – vocals
- Jimmy Page – guitars
- John Paul Jones – bass and synthesizer
- John Bonham – drums
- Lewis, Dave (2004) The Complete Guide to the Music of Led Zeppelin, ISBN 0-7119-3528-9
- Welch, Chris (1998) Led Zeppelin: Dazed and Confused: The Stories Behind Every Song, ISBN 1-56025-818-7
- Dave Lewis (1994), The Complete Guide to the Music of Led Zeppelin, Omnibus Press, ISBN 0-7119-3528-9.
- Liner notes by Cameron Crowe for The Complete Studio Recordings.
- Brad Tolinski and Greg Di Bendetto, "Light and Shade", Guitar World, January 1998.
- "Top 500 Tracks - 1999". Radio Caroline. Retrieved 2009-02-10.